Adding ground ghost pepper to a summer sausage batch

Started by hvhunter, November 28, 2016, 09:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvhunter

On my next batch of summer sausage, I'd like to try some ground ghost pepper to kick it up a little. Does anyone have an idea, how much ground ghost pepper should be added to a 10lb batch. Enough to make it warm, but not unbearable. Thanks in advance to the replies.

Grouperman941

I would experiment with a couple of chubs to figure it out. Weigh the chub, then weigh the pepper you put in. Then you have a ratio you can use to make a bigger batch.

Keep track and taste, at different time intervals. It might get hotter or fade over time.

It would be a shame to have 10 pounds worth of SS no one can eat.

I would start with 1 T per pound, which might be really hot, but is nice and even if it's right.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

hvhunter

Thanks Grouperman.  That was my plan, unless I was I able to get my hands on a verified recipe. Maybe I'll be safe, and just use 1/2 tsp on 5lbs of it. I'd hate to waste 10lbs of my hard earned venison.

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

hvhunter

http://zoesmeats.com/ghostpepper.html

A friend of mine gets this Ghost Pepper Salami at a deli in Ct. They slice it for him paper thin. It's so good; the flavor is outstanding
and the heat is just right; it creeps up on you.  Enough to make you want to have a beer. I realize I'm doing summer sausage, not salami, but if I could get close to the final result, I would very happy. Will keep you posted when I do this. 

hvhunter

A batch of kielbasa is going in the smoker at lunch time. I put 3/4 tsp in with approximately 5.5lb of meat. Will let you know after its done and sits a few days how it turned out.

hvhunter

Just cracked open a half stick. WOW.  It is very good. Light heat after a slice is down. Next batch I will go a full tsp in a 5 lb batch. I had over ten co workers try it, they all agreed the heat was afterwards and subtle. Very pleased with this batch.

Grouperman941

Good news! Thanks for the report. I actually just finished a batch of breakfast sausage where I put 1 teaspoon of ghost pepper for 5 lbs. It was pretty good the first day -- had some kick and late burn. I need to try it again today or tomorrow to see how the flavor matured.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

hvhunter

I did another batch three weeks ago, Keilbasa (Eldon's), and this time I added 1 tsp of ghost pepper to the ten lb batch. Tried the first stick on Saturday, and it was outstanding! You could feel a little bite of the pepper right off the bat, but it wasn't overwhelming at all. For me personally (and my two buddies that were with me), we all thought the batch was perfect. I had some from my first batch (3/4 tsp to ten lb) to compare, and that 1/4 tsp more definitely was noticeable.

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"