Cheese & Spam

Started by Roget, December 01, 2016, 11:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

I did some cold smoking yesterday.
I smoked 15 lbs. of cheese & 1 lb. of spam.

This is the first 4 trays
I always cut mine into small portions before smoking in order to get more surface area.

I didn't get a picture of the second smoke. V started wrapping it before I thought to get one.

These three pictures show all I smoked yesterday.
I had 3 varieties of cheddar, swiss, farmers, havarti, jarlsberg, pepper jack, & Spam.   

I know many, if not most, say to wait 4-6 weeks before eating the smoked cheese.
I have eaten it after a month, but I prefer to wait at least 2 or three months.
I think it just gets better & better the longer it sets.
I actually think it is at it's best after about 4-5 months.

I ran completely out before I smoked this, so I'm pretty sure this batch won't make it that long.
YCDBSOYA

Edward176

Wow, looks real good! When you say "I actually think it is at it's best after about 4-5 months" I'm wondering how you keep/store it? Do you freeze it or wrap it and leave it in the fridge? I too have made smoked cheese and find it tastes more "flavourable" after a week or even 2 but I just wrap it in Cling Wrap and leave it in the fridge. And how long will it keep in the fridge?

Roget

Quote from: Edward176 on December 01, 2016, 02:08:12 PM
Wow, looks real good! When you say "I actually think it is at it's best after about 4-5 months" I'm wondering how you keep/store it? Do you freeze it or wrap it and leave it in the fridge? I too have made smoked cheese and find it tastes more "flavourable" after a week or even 2 but I just wrap it in Cling Wrap and leave it in the fridge. And how long will it keep in the fridge?

I wrap it in plastic wrap, then vacuum seal it & into the fridge.
It will keep indefinitely as long as the air doesn't get to it.
After so long it might get a little mold on it.
I have kept it in the fridge for more than a year without it molding.

Don't freeze it. Frozen cheese is not good.
YCDBSOYA

randy1

Looks really good so out of all those which do you like the best think I might have to try some . Randy

Roget

I have smoked a lot of cheese & like the cheddar & Swiss the best.
My son also likes cheddar best, but my wife likes a softer cheese. something like the Jarlsberg.
Gouda is also very good, but I didn't do any this time.
YCDBSOYA