Big Disappointment

Started by rib-a-lation, December 02, 2016, 02:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rib-a-lation

So I bought a new Smart Smoker on a Black Friday deal (thank GOD I didn't pay anywhere near the $700 asking price)

Upon starting it for the first time, I noticed the meat probes were reading 000.  I decided to test them out in some hot water, still no reading.  In the app, they won't turn on.  And every time I close the app, I have to reinstall it in order to make it work. 
Figuring there was maybe something I was going wrong, I called Bradley.  Their solution was to send new probes....really?  So you are telling me that the cause of all of this, is that both probes are bad?  Highly doubt it.  They want me to wait for the probes, try them and let them know if that fixed it.  Then once that doesn't work, I can wait for a new smoke generator.  All in all, I won't be using this before 2017....

RedJada

rib-a-lation

No comment?
Is that an insinuation that I'm making it up?  I can post pics right now that it' sitting in my back yard, and exactly what it's doing.  I'm also fairly seasoned in smoking and using all types of smoker, I've owned the original Bradley, WSM with PID, Traeger Big Tex, etc....

BigTex71

That is unfortunate that your probes are not functioning properly. Mine worked fine with my first use, so I guess you may have received a lemon. This is the first report I have heard of with someone's probes not working in the unit. Hopefully it is not a common issue.

rib-a-lation

I just really hope it's the probes....  I tried the probes from my maverick and from my BBQ Guru, but neither are the right size.  Really don't want to wait for them to replace the generator.  As for the app, it's semi worthless.  Every time my phone goes to sleep, it crashes and has to be reinstalled, and re-paired with the smoker, defeating the purpose of it, as I have to go outside to pair it with the smoker.

jesse_sanders

I'm not surprised.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I understand your frustration. I'm not familiar with the Smart Smoker, though with two probes malfunctioning, it would seem the problem is caused by something other than the probes.

Bradley is very quick in getting parts out to their customers. If they have the parts in stock, the worse scenario; if the new probes don't work, you are looking at about two weeks to get a new generator to your door. That's not much of a consolation, but it is a much shorter time span than you are estimating.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TMB

Just my two cents worth so please take it that way.    Your issue with the probes sound more bad connection in the unit not bad probes

Your app issue may be due  to your phone.     Has your phone been update?  Had any issues similar to this happened in the past with your phone?

Reason for the phone issue question is I have had dealings with bad phones and bluetooth updates.  I work with customers a lot who's phones are the issue yet they think it's something else causing the issue.  i know the phone drops the app, but keep in mind software sucks and issues come in many forms.  Have you installed the app on another phone to try??

Again just asking, 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

karey42

The probe issue sounds unfortunate, I hope its a simple fix or just lemon.

As for the app part this worries me terribly. It's the whole reason why I refuse to bye this product as of now. I mean half the appeal of this unit is the smart smoker feature is it not? And I can't seem to find a lot of reviews period anywhere on the product and/or app. I want to really bad pull the trigger and buy one but I'm not spending $500+ on something that only half works.

rib-a-lation

As of right now, I'd say that the "smart" aspect is 90% nonfunctional.  I cooked some tri tips Friday night and they came out amazing as usual, but I was forced to treat the smoker like the old "original".  I used my Maverick thermometer and had to monitor cooker temp by going outside and looking at the screen.  Though, half way through the cook, I re-paired the bluetooth and it actually stayed connected the rest of the cook, so I was able to monitor the temp from my living room.
Hopefully the new app gets released soon....

rib-a-lation

New probes arrived, and surprise, they didn't fix the issue....

rib-a-lation

Update:
Contacted Bradley and they are sending out an all new smoker.  Will post update when it arrives, along with video.

Toker

Cool! The first one who receive his smoker win  ;D Mine is expected Thursday.

rib-a-lation

I think your gonna beat me lol.  It took them a week to get the probes here, so I'm thinking that next Monday will be the earliest I could possibly expect.
Hopefully yours is 100% functional when you get it.  I'm hoping my experience is an aberration.

Toker

Hope that my probes will be fine for sure but my cell phone is not on the list so it is a risque that I'M taking  ;)