Crusty bread

Started by manfromplaid, December 13, 2016, 07:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

Did a couple loaves this morning, bacon bits and cheese. I have changed up my baking times but the bread is still a little moist inside. Its cooked but i would like it a bit less heavy. Any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tskeeter

Here's some ideas.

Just a bit more leavening?  In order to make the crumb lighter.

Increase baking time and reduce temperature to eliminate doughyness?  Increased baking time will allow more moisture to evaporate.  The reduced temperature eliminates over browning due to increased temp.  I'd try increasing the baking time in 2minute increments and reducing the temp in 10 degree increments to see if that helps you get where you want.

Another option might be to increase the flour.  By a tablespoon at a time.  This changes the flour to water ratio in the dough, which should also reduce doughyness.

Think I'd start with more flour, then more leavening, and finally, adjust time/temp.  I'd only change one thing at a time so I could tell what change is delivering the results I want.

manfromplaid

this is the crusty bread recipe that sifumar posted some time back. 3 cups flour-1-3,4 tsp salt-1/2 tsp yeast and 1-1/2 cups water. rise overnight  450 temp  33 mins covered 12 min uncovered  baked in a cloche. will try to add a little more flour next time.