beef short ribs

Started by pd2718, March 19, 2015, 01:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pd2718

Going to smoke some beef short ribs and beef spare ribs this weekend.  Anyone have any tips they could offer?  Do I marinate them, or skip the marinade ?  Going to cover in mustard and a Spicey sweet rub.

pd2718

Correction, not going to use mustard as glue. Going to use a molasses syrup combination to give it a sweeter flavor. Thoughts?

Habanero Smoker

You could marinate, to infuse some flavors. I generally will just use salt and pepper, and nothing sweet. I don't add any thing sweet, because I don't like sweet beef.  I cook beef spare ribs the same way I cook  pork spare ribs. I use a similar method as How To Make Ribs in a Bradley. Though I begin checking them for doness at the 5 hour mark.

Short rib come from the plate and they are a tougher cut. Again, I use the same method as above, but the may require more foil time, and/or extended cooking time. Such as 2.5 - 2.5 - 1, and you may find you will have to cook and additional 30 - 60 minutes.

Your cook times will vary, depending on various conditions. I check them for doness by inserting a bamboo skewer. If it slides in and out without resistance, they are done. There is a very tough membrane on the bone side of the rib, that I find difficult to remove prior to cooking. I not longer attempt to remove the membrane, but will score it with a sharp knife.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

renoman

1 - smoke for 1 hour
2 - add your favorite rub and sous vide for 10 hrs. at 135
3 - finish on the grill or cover and bake in the oven at 350 with your favorite sauce

you will thank me for this.

iceman

Quote from: renoman on March 20, 2015, 06:32:36 AM
1 - smoke for 1 hour
3 - finish on the grill or cover and bake in the oven at 350 with your favorite sauce

And your family will thank renoman for this  ;D
It really works  ;)

slowmo

Quote from: iceman on March 20, 2015, 04:52:43 PM
Quote from: renoman on March 20, 2015, 06:32:36 AM
1 - smoke for 1 hour

And your family will thank renoman for this  ;D
It really works  ;)
If you are going to use the sous  vide method on the beef short ribs,  what temp do you first smoke the ribs?  Thanks,  Mo