Boneless beef chuck help

Started by Dnorris1369, December 18, 2016, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dnorris1369

So I attempted chuck roast today.  I used a homemade rub and smoked on middle rack at 225 for about 5 hours until temp was around 160.  I then wrapped in foil with some apple juice and butter until temp was 195 then took out and wrapped tightly and sat in microwave for an hour. It tasted great but was a tad dry and I was expecting it to pull apart easily but nope had to carve. Where did I go wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

That is basically how I make my shredded beef when using chuck. Sometimes you have to cook it longer until the meat gives up. At around 195°F, you should do a fork test; which is to unfoil the roast, insert a fork and twist. If it twist easily, it is ready for pulling. If you can't twist the fork, or it twist with difficulty, re-foil and continue to cook until it reaches a point where the fork will twist. So that would mean to check it at 200°F, or 205°F etc.

As for the texture, I've always found pull beef to be a bit on the dry side, and I will add either some low sodium beef broth, or Au Jus, or one of my favorite sauces; to give it some moisture. Once while making a pulled beef sandwich I used Italian dressing, and that came out great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)