Temp controller

Started by Johnny, December 24, 2016, 03:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Hey,
Has anyone had any experience using these with bradley smoker? Inkbird 100 ~240VAC ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1000W, w/ Sensor

Inkbird 100 ~240VAC ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1000W, w/ Sensor
by Inkbird
I purchased one from Amazon but haven't tried it yet, any feedback would be great!

Thanks,
Johnny.

TedEbear

I haven't heard of that one but there's a discussion of a similar product in another thread.

Do I really need a PID or is bang-bang enough?

Johnny

Thanks for the reply :) when i was looking for a temp controller online there seemed to be alot of options so I went with was seemed to be simple. It's basically a plug and play with a temp probe. I haven't used it yet but looks like i simply plug the heating element cord from in back of the bradley to the controller and set the temp. Im assuming i hang the temp probe down the vent from the top of the smoker. Time will tell if this rig works!

TedEbear

Keeps us posted on how well it goes.  I'm interested in hearing the results of the temp variance.

Johnny

Absolutely!  I will indeed keep you posted, hopefully it works well because its an affordable item. Think i paid around 50$ shipping and all.  I tried to post a pic of the temp controller on here but for some reason I cant find anywhere to upload a pic.

Johnny

Tried out the temp controller yesterday and it seemed pretty simple at first, I put the probe down the vent hole and hung it about half way down the smoker, set the temp to 130 degrees and started my process.. about an hour into it my smoker power shut off?? Not sure why but I disconnected the temp controller and finished without it. Im thinking it had something to do with the freezing temps outside.

Habanero Smoker

I couldn't locate the model you have. Are you sure it's not the Inkbird 1000?

The specs state that the ambient operating temps are 0°C~60°C. So if you were below freezing that could be the cause.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Johnny

1000 w..
think ill move the smoker into our heated shop and vent it, should solve my issue.

Habanero Smoker

According to the specs of the 308 the ambient temperature shouldn't have been a problem. The specs. show it can operate in temperatures from -30 ~ 75°C  / -22~ 167°F.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?action=post;topic=37443.0;last_msg=423401

If you are using Fahrenheit, the temperature of 130°F for the Bradley with the generator on is fairly low. Once the controller reaches that temperature, it will shut off the heating element until it falls below 130°F. If you have the generator plugged directly into the controller, it will shut the whole unit off. You should only plug the cabinet into the controller bypassing the generator.

What was the cabinet temperature when you decided to unhook it?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Johnny

Habs I did have the generator plugged directly in the unit, I had my wireless temp probe in the house with me and noticed it was down to 80 degrees F. When i went to investigate, noticed then it was powered off.
Any ideas how to bypass the generator? On the 4 rack its like a female end (much like a desktop cord)

Habanero Smoker

That is the type of cord you will need, you desktop monitor and many printers and scanners use that same cord. The name of the cord is  NEMA5-15P to IEC320 C13.  If you have had desktop computers in the past, you may have that cord laying around.

Plug that cord into the back of the cabinet, and the other end into your controller.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Johnny

Thanks Habs,
I'm sure I've got one of those somewhere, thanks once again for your advice! I'm going to give this another try in a few days, ill keep you guys posted on the results.

Johnny.

Johnny

Gave this temp controller another go today.. started off ok but it seemed to take along time to cut back in and bring the temp back to its setting. Needless to say i am not impressed with this inkbird.

Habanero Smoker

What is the heating differential set to. I have a similar heating/cooling device that I can set the range from 1°F to 20°F. I set mine to 2°F. If I set it to 20°F, it will overshoot by 20 degrees, and won't click back on until it drops 20 degree below the set temperature. By setting it to 2°F, the on/off cycle will be 2 degrees above the set temperature, and 2 degrees below the set temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.