Temp controller

Started by Johnny, December 24, 2016, 03:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Habs I will have to look at the manual, I would say that's what my trouble is because it seemed to be around 20  degrees b4 it kicked back in. Half my problem is that I don't know how to work the device. Maybe I should do my homework.

Habanero Smoker

A lot of time these electronic gadgets have a learning curve. It took me awhile and some trial and error to understand how to operate mine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Yes, not as easy as it looks sometimes :)
When I look online it seems mostly everyone is using them for brewing purpose.

thrdrock

I have the Original Bradley Smoker, with the old style puck burner, and the old heat control below the door. Always had trouble getting the temp set without overshooting or undershooting. Got the Auber PID set up specifically for the Bradley. IT WORKS GREAT! Has six "programs" where you set the temp and time in each, and a probe that hangs down through the vent (I left mine just above the top rack). You can also get a wall mount probe that mounts to the back wall (if you are brave enough to drill a hole in your smoker!). Keeps the temp to within a degree or two without problem. The controller only controls the main element, the puck burner still works independently, so you can turn it on and off as needed. Have used it for several briskets, and just last week made my first batch of kielbasa....worked like a charm! here is the link for the Auber
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=72

Johnny

Thrdrock thanks for the info.
I would guess there are a few pid's out there and no doubt some are definitely better than others, (you get what you pay for )
I'm not going to give up on this inkbird just yet tho, if it weren't for Habs it would have been in the trash by now lol
When it comes to electronics it's definitely not my forte! So I have to have patience so to speek,im a cabinet maker who owns/operates a kitchen and bath business, a couple years ago we purchased a used CNC machine for cutting our boxes and I spent so much time trying to learn it that I got fed up and sold it lol. 
Anyhow I'm thankful for this forum with all you guys that carry so much knowledge on so many aspects of pretty much everything!
Cheers!
Johnny.

Johnny

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 02, 2017, 02:12:42 AM
What is the heating differential set to. I have a similar heating/cooling device that I can set the range from 1°F to 20°F. I set mine to 2°F. If I set it to 20°F, it will overshoot by 20 degrees, and won't click back on until it drops 20 degree below the set temperature. By setting it to 2°F, the on/off cycle will be 2 degrees above the set temperature, and 2 degrees below the set temperature.
Habs just thought you might like to know I got this inkbird working perfectly thanks to you!  It was the HD setting..it was factory set to the highest temp and once I did what you said It started to work like a charm! Thanks my friend!!

Habanero Smoker

Great to hear you have if working properly. It will make using your Bradley much easier.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Just took the bacon out, your right.. things seemed alo't smoother, more of a steady climb on the thermometer and didnt take as long .
Sure wish I had fooled around to get that working sooner!