Smoking A Turkey Breast.

Started by Divey, January 24, 2017, 10:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divey

I have a frozen turkey breast that is 3kg (6.6lb) and I wish to smoke it.

I have had a great deal of success doing Hams. I did three at Christmas time and they were really good. I injected the Hams with a cure I bought from a local Butcher Supplies and then soaked the Hams in a brine solution for a minimum of three days before smoking them. I then smoked and cooked till a core temperature of 65°C (150°F) was achieved and then immediately immersed in an icy cold water bath.

I have a question to ask, should I inject the Turkey Breast before soaking in brine? When I do smoked chickens, I simply soak them overnight in the same cure I do the Hams and that is enough for them, they turn out great, however, seeing that this turkey breast is much larger that a chicken I feel as I should inject it. What do you folks think?

Habanero Smoker

If they are whole bone-in turkey breast, I would inject, using an amount of 10% of the weight of the breast. I wouldn't add that much time to your preparation. If they are boneless half breasts, I wouldn't see the need for injecting, though it wouldn't hurt to do so.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Divey

It's a whole breast with the bone in.

Habanero Smoker

If it were me, I would inject. Injecting won't do any harm, and it will speed up the curing process.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)