Two hour wonder. Temporary Happiness....

Started by KohalaTom, January 03, 2017, 01:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KohalaTom

Well, this brand new, six rack wonder, ran great for about two hours.  Then, for unknown reasons, it quit.  Blue light display went dark.   Lets try a reboot! Feeling promising, things running.... but Nope, temp comes up to 150, unit shuts down.  Great, now I have six racks of Salmon in a dysfunctional smoker.  Suggestions? 

Habanero Smoker

Hi KohalaTom;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum in this manner.

Are you getting any "E" or "E1" errors?

I don't have the digital, and your description of the problem I've haven't seen before. Some times the buttons under the display pad are hard to push in when the unit is new. Make sure you are pushing dead center. Also check to make sure all the connections are properly secure. Disconnect the power cords, and sensor cords, and reconnect them.

If none of that works, if you able to apply enough smoke, you may want to move the salmon to your kitchen oven, or rapidly chill it, store it in the refrigerator, and call Bradley Customer service for assistance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KohalaTom

Thanks Habenero, 

On first startup, I do get an E1 code, complete with beeping.  After about 15 min of running, the code goes away, and I am able to operate the keypad.  As suggested by other posts in this forum, I have double checked all cord connections.   

KohalaTom

Customer Service is sending a new Power Supply. 

Habanero Smoker

Great! I hope that resolved the problem.

Where you able to save your salmon?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KohalaTom

The Salmon froze in the smoker overnight. 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: KohalaTom on January 04, 2017, 03:08:23 AM
The Salmon froze in the smoker overnight.

Well!! That is one way to preserve it. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KohalaTom

New Power Supply installed.  Same issues.  I am done with this "NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME PO_ APPLIANCE."  I didn't buy this metal box to become field support for Bradley.  I don't really care what the technical explanations are for E and E1 beeping errors.  This sliver box is going for a short ride back to Cabela's.  No, it won't be exchanged because I don't trust this substandard product design to outlive the warranty.    >:(   

KohalaTom

This NON smoking technology wonder should have gone for a short ride off a short pier last January.  But, I got distracted and ignored the unit.  Last night, I plugged it in, and surprise, blue led lights!  the unit warmed up to temperature.  I added ribs with great expectations.  Hours later, No smoke....  Ribs cooked with a pile of pucks in the pan.  This "non smoking" oven is just amazing.  Bradley, your name went on before the quality went in.  Shame on you for selling this non functioning corporate masterpiece. Roughly 512 curious souls have clicked on this pathetic thread since January.  I hope others will take the clue, save their money, and NOT make the same mistake I did.  I have a silver lemon occupying space on my deck.  This thing is still under warranty!  Lets see, I will call service on Monday, they will send me parts, and I will get to play Bradley repair-man. :(     

KyNola

How many cooks have you attempted?  Did you experience the same problem each time?

KohalaTom

KyNola, I tried to cycling the unit 4 times over a 6 hour period.  The result was the same each time.  No smoke with a warm oven.  It would appear that something is wrong with the heating element that is supposed to char the pucks.  The element does get somewhat warm to the touch.  However, not enough to burn my fingers.

KyNola

When you replaced the power supply, did it solve the issue of the unit shutting off after a couple of hours?   Does the tower heat up to your target oven temp?  If so, you're almost home.

It sounds as though your puck burner may be faulty.  Did it produce smoke prior to replacing the power supply?  Puck burners are easy to replace but before you ask for a replacement, run the wiring from the burner back into the generator to make sure it is properly plugged in.  It is possible that when you replaced the power supply that the puck burner may have been partially disconnected.  If it is properly connected ask Bradley for a new puck burner.

I understand your frustration with your smoker but we,(forum members), will get you up and running.  You are more than entitled to having a smoker that operates properly. 

KohalaTom

The unit did produce smoke prior to the power supply replacement.  I rechecked wires and all are secure.  I will request a puck burner from Bradley in the morning.  I believe this unit will eventually work, with enough parts and time invested on my part.  After that, will I trust the smoker, or Bradley products?  Will I refer these products to friends? Likely not.  I have owned smokers produced by other manufactures that are reliable and simply work.  No need to post on forums, call customer service, swap parts and experience customer frustration.  Read these forums, they are full of customers that are having problems getting these products to work.  If Bradley invested the same dollars in Engineering and Manufacturing that they do in Marketing, they could have a home run product that would eliminate customer dissatisfaction and the need for these fix-it forums.  P.T. Barnum had it right, "There's a sucker born every minute."

RAF128

Most people buy their Bradley, take it home and never have an issue.   There's always a few lemons out there and unfortunetly, you got one.   I would have taken right back to the place of purchase and exchanged it. 

Smoker John

When I purchased mine the puck plate wasn't heating up either, once I re-seated all the connections in the smoke generator it started working fine. A lot of times the error is caused by a faulty sensor cable also. Hope things get solved for you.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712