Smoked beef (rookvlees)

Started by bgroen, November 03, 2011, 06:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgroen

We have just bought a 4 tray digital smoker and have been experimenting with it and would like to know if anyone has a curing recipe for Dutch smoked beef (rookvlees) and info on what to smoke it with and times.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,  Bernie

jiggerjams

viper125

Well I found a recipe. But have a question. Do you speak Dutch. LOLTosti met raclettekaas, spinazie en rookvlees

8 sneetjes brood
200g diepvriesspinazie
4 plakjes raclettekaas
4 plakjes rookvlees
8 el bechamelsaus
50g boter
30g boter (extra)
zout
- Besmeer de sneetjes brood aan 1 kant dun met boter
- stoof de spinazie zachtjes in boter en laat uitlekken in een vergiet
- schep de spinazie door de bechamelsaus. Breng op smaak met peper en zout.
- Verdeel het mengsel over 4 sneetjes brood. Leg er dan 1 plakje rookvlees en 1 plakje raclettekaas op
- leg de overgebleven sneetjes brood erbovenop en bak ongeveer 2 min aan elke kant.

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Keymaster

Heres Bings translation

LOLTosti with raclettekaas, spinach and smoke meat

8 slices of bread
200 g frozen spinach
4 slices of raclettekaas
4 slices of non-meat
8 el bechamel sauce
50 g butter
30 g butter (extra)
Salt
Spread the slices of bread to 1 edge thin with butter
-stew butter gently in the spinach and let drain in a colander
-scoop the spinach by the béchamel sauce. Season to taste with pepper and salt.
-Divide the mixture over 4 slices of bread. Leg there than 1 slice of non-meat and 1 slice raclettekaas on
-place the remaining slices of bread on top and bake for about 2 min on each side.

viper125

I'm impressed what did you mean Bing's translation? But to me it still don't make sense.Like what is? raclettekaas, non-meat, el bechamel sauce? Ok I have found out the Raclettekaas is a sort of cheese product. And the sauce is a simple grease,flour and water type of gravy.  Still never heard off a non meat?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Keymaster

Depending what browser you use you can highlight your recipe, right click on it and then left click "translate with Bing". I use Internet explorer for my browser mostly. I think the"non meat" might be smoked meat, I dont speak dutch, poor translation.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry for the late post. I missed this when it was first posted it.

You may want to try the link below. That guy has also been searching, and developed a recipe, but he also provides some hints on were he got his initial information from.

Making Dutch ROOKVLEES

If you are using a Bradley, in his description of applying 12 hours of smoke over a three day period, you may want to use my smoking method outlined in Triple Smoked Bacon recipe, and cut the smoke to 9 hours (3 hours per day)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

QuoteLike what is? raclettekaas, non-meat, el bechamel sauce?

Rackettkaas is reclette cheese.  If you ever have the real thing in your fridge you'll understand where the phrase "Who cut the cheese" came from.

the el stands for Esslöffel - basically tablespoon

If you ever made Lasagna you'll know what Bechamel is.  Written Dutch is similar to written German but to pronounce it properly you have to cough up a loogi and keep it in your throat whilst speaking  ;D ;D ;D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

OldSalt

This is a recipe using rookvlees, not for making it.

Tosti met raclettekaas, spinazie en rookvlees
Toast with raclette cheese, spinach and Dutch smoked meat

8 sneetjes brood
200g diepvriesspinazie
4 plakjes raclettekaas
4 plakjes rookvlees
8 el bechamelsaus
50g boter
30g boter (extra)
zout

8 slices bread
8oz frozen spinach
4 slices Dutch smoked beef
8 tbsp white sauce
3-1/2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp butter (extra)
salt

- Besmeer de sneetjes brood aan 1 kant dun met boter
- spread butter on one side of each slice of bread
- stoof de spinazie zachtjes in boter en laat uitlekken in een vergiet
- lightly fry the spinach in the butter, then drain in a colander
- schep de spinazie door de bechamelsaus. Breng op smaak met peper en zout.
- toss the spinach in the white sauce.  Add salt and pepper to taste
- Verdeel het mengsel over 4 sneetjes brood. Leg er dan 1 plakje rookvlees en 1 plakje raclettekaas op
- divide the mixture over 4 slices of bread.  Add a slice of the Dutch smoked meat, and a slice of raclette cheese
- leg de overgebleven sneetjes brood erbovenop en bak ongeveer 2 min aan elke kant.
- cover with the remaining slices of bread, and bake (broil) for about 2 minutes per side.