Snacking sticks

Started by RAF128, January 24, 2017, 09:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

My wife told me last week to use up the last of the deer meat in the freezer and show our grown son how to make it. So, I took out the last of the ground deer, about 8 lbs and started to thaw it. Then head to my butcher shop and picked up 2 1/2 lbs of 50/50 pork. This morning we mixed the meat and spices and stuffed into colligen casings. Usually  make them into 15 in lengths to hang but this time I've go 11 lbs and the won't fit. Made 6 inch sticks and will use the racks. Smoking starts in the moring

Edward176

"Smoking starts in the morning," Don't know about anyone else but that sure sounds like an invitation if I ever heard one;)

RAF128

I didn't mention it but I'm using a hi mountain kit. Used them before with good success.

Johnny

How did your sticks turn out? I've tried hi mountain in the past but find it a tad salty. Ive been using Gregs recipe and adding fermento, dextrose and soy protein and find that tasty but I tell you the backwoods "hot" premix seasoning is amazing!! Sure wish i could find out that recipe;)

RAF128

They turned out terrible.   Threw out the whole batch.   I've used Hi Mountain many time with good results.   We measured very carefully.  Took out the sausage in the morning to warm for an hour.   Started the smoker at 130 for an hour with no smoke.   Bumped up to 150 and added maple smoke for a couple of hours then up to 180.   Don't know went wrong.   Now that was old deer burger that was in my freezer for the past 2 1/2 years.  The spices have been in my cupboard for a couple of years.   Other than that no idea.  Maybe it's one of those cases of "sh*t happens.

Johnny

Gosh thats to bad, i feel your pain 😔 ive been making snack sticks for about 7 years now and have had to open the garbage can many a times. Thankfully with experience ive cracked the code :) I always get my best results with just a 5-6lb batch at a time.

tskeeter

I wonder if the if the venison was freezer burned.  Over two years, especially if the meat was stored in a frost free freezer, is a long time.

The age of the spices might also be a factor.  The rule of thumb that I have heard is that after about two years, spices lose quite a bit of their flavor.  Oh course, spices subjected to heat will degrade faster.  And the storage container makes a difference.  Glass with a metal cap would be the best and a light plastic bag with a twist tie would be the poorest.

If you were unlucky enough to have both freezer burned meat, and old spices, they could be the source of your problems.

Johnny

Tskeeter I'd say you are right! and where his meat was ground (and freezer burnt) would even make matters worst.

Edward176

Sorry to hear how things turned out RAF128, but I think Johnny and tskeeter are correct with the freezer burn and too long in storage. I found some old burgers in the freezer and they had to have been there for at least 2-3 years. Not only freezer burns but over that time they absorbed a lot of aroma from other things in the freezer with them.I just smelt the burgers and they smelt pretty bad, not spoiled, just smelled like something old and unpleasant. I threw them out and now keep a box of baking soda in the freezer. Its prettty sad when cookies and meats smell of fish, spices and old age :)

Johnny

A couple years back I got my hands on a commercial vacuum sealer, (we own and operate a kitchen cabinet business) A guy who previously owned a cheese shop needed a small vanity so we bardered!
Needless to say I vacuum seal everything! Living here in Newfoundland we have an abundance of cod fish and I vacuum seal that along with all the wild game I harvest.. I have fresh fish in the freezer from 2 years ago and you wouldn't know that it just came from the ocean! Im not saying everyone needs a commercial one but even a foodsaver can save alot of food ;)

RAF128

When I started this I worried if the meat was freezer burned.   It didn't look like it.   This meat had been ground at the time I processed and was stored in bags made for ground meat.   

Johnny

Hmmm.. who know's!! Like you said maybe one of those cases of shi*t happens lol

Habanero Smoker

Did you cook a small portion of the sausage for a taste test before stuffing? If so how did that taste?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

No never did fry any, never have in the past.   My stuffer leaves a lot of meat in the bottom and in the stuffing tube.   Could have fried some of that.  By the way, this stuffer wastes alot of meat.   Don't know the make but bought at Cabelas.   

Johnny

I would say most vertical stuffers do leave a'lot at the bottom, I usually freeze that bit and add it to the next batch. I was actually thinking of purchasing a dakota hydro stuffer. Anyone use these?