Salsa

Started by RAF128, January 25, 2017, 04:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

First a little background.   For years my wife and I have planted a few tomatoes and always got a few, enough for fresh sandwiches and in salads.   Well, last summer we got a bumper crop.   Don't know why but we had so many sandwiches day after day and all those salads that we need to do something with the tomatoes we were getting.  My wife even made a big pot of tomato soup which turned out better than the canned one from the grocery store.   So one day, on her own, she decided to make some salsa.   Don't know where she got the recipe, likely on line.   Basically it's 5 lbs of tomatoes, 4 green peppers, one bunch of cilantro, 4 jalepeno peppers, an onion, 4 clovers of garlic, 4 tsp of salt and 1/2 cup of vinegar.  Everything goes through the food processor and into a large pot.   Put on the stove and cook until it reduces by 1/2.   Put in jars and you're good to go.   
Now this was very tasty but . I like hot.  When I eat some, which is daily, I get out about 5 - 6 ozs my tortilla chips and add a healthy dose of hot sauce. 
  So I improved the recipe a little.   The recipe stays the same but I add a couple extra jalepenos  and 4 habenero peppers.   I also still add the hot sauce to it.  No one else will touch it so there's more for me ;D

Roget

Sounds really good.
I haven't made salsa forever.
I would like the heat, but my wife wouldn't touch it.  ;D
YCDBSOYA

Johnny

Dont think I've had homemade salsa.. sounds good ! How does it compare to old el Pasa?

RAF128

Quote from: Roget on February 01, 2017, 12:47:44 PM
Sounds really good.
I haven't made salsa forever.
I would like the heat, but my wife wouldn't touch it.  ;D
\
My wife won't touch mine,neither will anyone one else so more for me ;)

RAF128

Quote from: Johnny on February 01, 2017, 01:58:54 PM
Dont think I've had homemade salsa.. sounds good ! How does it compare to old el Pasa?

Don't care for the old el paso.  Don't like most commercially made salsas.  I like mine because of the extra heat.   Make some for yourself and try it and then you be the judge.