Temp. variation ?

Started by 4kdave, January 29, 2017, 10:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4kdave

I have read where there is a 20-30 degree variation between the temp. dial and the inside temp.
Is the inside temp. less than the dial temp. or is it higher ?

I should note I have just done the breakin and have not tried to smoke anything yet.
My smoker is a Christmas gift and had a wood burner before but didn't use it much as couldn't get the temp. up where it needed to be.

cathouse willy

Welcome to the forum. First thing to keep in mind is the bradley smoker is a "low and slow" machine. The cooking temp isn't meant to be much over 250f, there is an over heat safety that will shut things down usually around 350 f. The best way to monitor the temp is with a digital thermometer with the remote probe just under the meat.You will notice temp swings of 15-20 deg from the set temp and this is fine for most cooks. If you want to closely control the temp there is the"pid", a magical electronic gadget that will keep it within 2-3 deg, Optional at extra cost of course. The next thing is the main element is only 500 watts so it takes a while to get up to temp especially with a big load.Bring the meat to room temp, keep the vent wide open and protect the smoker from the wind all will help. There's lots of people here who are glad to answer questions so ask away.

4kdave

Thanks Willy, that answers a lot of my questions and I understand more about how it runs now.
I read about the "PDI" and adding another element, but didn't want to spend a lot of money if there wasn't a need.
Thanks for your help...I guess I am ready to dive in !!!

tskeeter

Dave, lots and lots of folks successfully use their Bradleys without modification or accessories such as a PID.  You will find that many members of this forum, myself included, are Tim Taylor types.  Tinkerers is search of more power.  As a group, we may not be very representative of the whole population of Bradley owners.

I think that when new Bradley owners struggle, their struggles are often a disconnect between what they expect and how the Bradley was designed to be used.  The result is some frustration, until folks learn what they can expect from their Bradley.  Once down the learning curve a bit, they enjoy using their smoker more and more.

4kdave

Thanks Tskeeter for the friendly comments and I will be moving ahead with my Bradley. My major concern was the Temp. gauge in the door and how it relates (+ or-) to the inside temp. I have a Bradley meat probe temp. unit and I guess I can hang it in the inside chamber and compare it with the one on the door.