Help - Quick Rib Smoking Question

Started by David6340, July 18, 2004, 06:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

Does it matter if some of the Spare Ribs overlap on top of each other while smoking? I cut the slabs in half but was only able to fit 2 on each shelf so I had no choice but to try and squeeze the rest in. Thanks

David6340

I've had the ribs cooking since 12 noon. As I mentioned in my previous post, I've had to overload the BC with Spare Ribs. The temperature has not gone over 150F in the 2 1/2 hours it's been on. Does the excessive amount of ribs in the BS contribute to why I can't get the temp. up?

nsxbill

David 6340

Granted, the heat will cook it, but the part of the rib that is overlapping or touching interferes with smoke and heat circulation inside the smoker. Equal exposure to the whatever you are cooking is important.    If it is just touching a little, I suspect it will make little difference in taste.  

Any smoke is better than no smoke at all, but I have never loaded up any smoker with so much meat that edges touch.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Fuzzybear

Hmm....sounds like David6340 could use another Bradley!

David6340: you can order another set of racks, invert them over one another and that should take care of your space problem...Chez has extra racks that can be ordered from his website.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

David6340

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />Hmm....sounds like David6340 could use another Bradley!

David6340: you can order another set of racks, invert them over one another and that should take care of your space problem...Chez has extra racks that can be ordered from his website.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Fuzzy, In the meantime what do I do. I got ribs smoking for the last 3 hours at about 160 and can't get the temp any higher. Should I take half out and put them in the oven??

BigSmoker

I was discussing with the wife a similiar problem.  If your temp is not over 150f you are drying not cooking the meat.  IMHO would take 1/2 (or all)ribs out wrap individually in foil(with a little sauce if you want)and put in oven at 300f for 1-1 1/2 hrs depending on how done they are already.  They should be done then and let you eat before midnight.  If you are gonna really load up the BS you need to start early and let the meat be at room temp before putting in smoker.  I might even let my temp be near 275-300f at first.  When you put ribs/meat in you will notice an initial drop in temp.  Monitor temp after putting meat in and set temp at bottom when desired temp is reached.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.