Quick buckboard bacon question

Started by hutcho, February 11, 2017, 05:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

Hey guys got my first batch of buckboard bacon curing currently.  Used the high mountain kit for the first round.  Today is the 10th day but I overslept and I don't know if I'm gonna have time to get it smoked before I leave.  Would it hurt to wait another day?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

KyNola

hutcho

Thank you sir!

hutcho

Ok so got it all rinsed and it is drying now waiting to go in the smoker and I'm kinda freaking out.  It's firm to the touch and mostly gray, the inside where in pulled the bone out is redish still.  The big thing that's worrying me is there are a couple spots that are a bright yellow color.  Did I over cure that? Is the whole project wasted? I hate to toss meat but I damn sure don't want to make my family sick...

hutcho

This is the worst spot.  Is that unsafe?

Habanero Smoker

Discoloration doesn't necessarily mean that the meat is bad. Though I've never seen that specific color, I often get some discoloration, but it is usually a light green, or grayish green; at times an iridescent color. Many things can contribute to various colors on cured meats; such as the amount of myoglobin contained in the muscle; exposure to oxidation, ultralight, and/or visible light being expose more in that area.

I'm not familiar with High Mountain cure kits, and don't know what ingredients they contain. Sometimes an ingredient in the cure mix can discolor some areas of the meat and not others; it is usually caused by the cure mix being applied more heavily in those areas. I've had that happened to me when using brown sugar. I've heard High Mountain will respond quickly to their emails or calls. I would call them and check if this is a known issue with their cures.

Different monitors display colors differently, so on my monitor it looks pale orange. It doesn't look like nitrite burn, which is too much nitrites applied in one area of the meat - that would cause a deep green pigmentation. If you measured your cure correctly, it is unlikely you have over cured it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hutcho

Yeah the picture doesn't do it justice.   It is more of a brighter yellowish green color.  I was thinking maybe I had over cured it from some reading done on another post.  I had 22.5lbs of cure and 25lbs of meat.  Was in a hurry and used it all.  A little fell in the bottom of the pan as I was working so figured I would be ok.   It's all smoked now (well 230 this morning it finally finished) just waiting to slice til I know about that...

hutcho

Talked to high mountain and they said it sounded ok.   Time to get to slicing! Thank you guys for your help!

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad you were able to save your bacon.

Did you mean you had enough cure for 22.5 lbs. of meat, and cured 25 lbs. of meat with it. If so, you would still be in the safe parameters of having enough nitrites. But I have to ask; or did you use 22.5 lbs. of cure mix, for 25 lbs. of meat?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

hutcho

Had 22.5 lbs of meat.  Used cure for 25lbs.

hutcho

Jacked my ankle up today so now have to figure out how to slice it on crutches.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to hear you injured your ankle. For the future, get yourself some counter top stools or chairs. I have a pair, and when my legs get tired I can sit on the stool and still comfortably handle and prep food on the counter.

As High Mountain stated, the bacon is alright for the amount of cure you used.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

hutcho

I have a few in the shop somewhere.   Gonna sweet talk my mother in law in to helping bring the slicer in to the kitchen table so I can get it done.  This laying around all day is driving me insane!! Gotta get something done!