Custom PID

Started by robs, August 19, 2006, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robs

Olds did a good job cleaning up this post. I appreciate all of his hard work. Please visit his site listed below.
rob
My Custom PID Controller

Oldman

rob,

I personally want to thank you for taking your time and doing this, and the folks that came before you who have made this possible.  I would like to add this information to our  Bradley Accessories on the recipe site.  However, I would like the image you have posted here in a larger format.  For old eyes like mine it is hard to read even with my glasses....  :o

What I will do is use this current image as a click to enlarge to a full screen image. Send your larger image first to [email protected]   if it gets kicked back because it is to large then send it to [email protected]   

Also will you send a pix of your finished item. Plus I would like to give credit to all the members who over this past year or so who made this possible.  Please include the author(s) of any postings that helped you.

Again thanks to you and all before you for this information.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

robs

I will upload more pictures later today of the finished product, etc.

rob

Smudge

This is great! Thanks robs.

winemakers

Thank you,

Man, does this get a gadget guy's juices flowing.  Were it not 10p on Sunday night, I do believe I would be hard at it trying to get mine going.

Rob, thanks for the hard work. No one these days has extra time and I appreciate the effort.

mark

robs

Quote from: winemakers on August 20, 2006, 06:46:47 PM
Thank you,

Man, does this get a gadget guy's juices flowing.  Were it not 10p on Sunday night, I do believe I would be hard at it trying to get mine going.

Rob, thanks for the hard work. No one these days has extra time and I appreciate the effort.

mark
Hey Mark, I'm glad you like it. Yeah, it was kind of hard working on it this weekend since it's the last weekend before the kids start school.

Good luck with yours. Don't hesitate to ask questions, although my hope is that we've made it easy enough so that people won't need help.

rob

car54

Thanks Robs for your great input into the PID. I have had one for about a year and it is a joy to have. I just recently did a 26 hour smoke of pork butt. I started it at 4:30 PM and because of the PID I slept through the night. I did not have to adjust anything.

Here is my solution to heat build up from the SSR. I have a heat sink that is mounted on the outside of the box.

Again, Thanks for your work.

Brad

TomG

Here are 2 options for SSR cooling.  Both seem to work.  The heat sink took me about 6 hrs. on my drill/mill/lathe, probably twice as long as it took to put the whole box together :) :) 

iceman

Robs; I just wanted to say thank you very much for all the hard work you've put into this project. For that matter I would like to thank everyone for the input and information supplied here.
I noticed you used a 25 amp SSR. I'm running dual 1500 watt elements in my smokers. Do they make a 40 amp SSR?
All you folks have certainly given me the desire to tackle this project.
Again, THANK YOU.
Regards; Patrick  :) :) :)

BTW TomG Very nice job on the heat sink!!! ;)

TomG

Ice, 40A SSRs are readily available   http://www.crydom.com/products/productFamilyList.aspx?idProductLine=3
As I'm sure you know, the 1500 watts at 115vac will only draw about 15 amps.  The downside to the higher amp SSR is cost, the upside, I think, is that at any given load, the higher cap SSR will stay cooler.

Robs, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.  Nice work on the project.

Oldman

Funny,

rob and I are working together on the recipe site and one of the issue we are talking about is a heat sink. I suggested a computer heat sink. I see I will have to add TomG newest image to the ones of his we are already using.

I would add the image of Brad's but I cannot see the sink.  Brad if you would like your image used please take a clearer picture and E-mail it to me.

If you all want to take a peek this is the addy: http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?p=504#post504   I'm not yet done with the coding and some re-wording. At the moment it is a hidden thread so you can only access it via the link.  Also, until I'm finished it is an open posting board and comments may be posted. Once we are finished all comments etc. (other postings) will be deleted.

QuoteRobs, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.  Nice work on the project.
TomG you did not jack the thread...  ;D

Just remember at this point we are not done with stuff, so some of that thread still looks like this one.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

robs

I'm glad that this thread is alive.

Me and Raye talked about just using the bottom of the box as a heatsink (it's aluminum) and mounting rubber feet in the corners. I debated doing this, and after talking to a few people decided that the heat may not dicipate enough because the SSR would be
mounted on the bottom.

I took an old heatsink off of a video card and mounted it on the SSR. I cut a hole in the back of the box just big enough for the heatsink to squeeze through. I mixed 2 parts JB Weld with one part Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound for my adhesive. There wasn't room for drilling holes to attach the SSR and the heatsink didn't have any type of mounting bracket, so I just made sure to make it a tight fit.

Pictures posted. I will post instructions for mounting the heatsink soon.

rob

TomG

FYI, heat sinks for the puck type SSRs are also commercially available, but a little pricey and bulky.

https://www.alliedelec.com/Search/SearchResults.asp?SearchQuery=HS%2D2%20CRYDOM&SearchType=STANDARD&submit=search+again

If I had 12 months to spare, I'd be happy to make them for anyone who wanted one. :D :D

robs

Quote from: TomG on August 21, 2006, 07:11:21 PM
FYI, heat sinks for the puck type SSRs are also commercially available, but a little pricey and bulky.

https://www.alliedelec.com/Search/SearchResults.asp?SearchQuery=HS%2D2%20CRYDOM&SearchType=STANDARD&submit=search+again

If I had 12 months to spare, I'd be happy to make them for anyone who wanted one. :D :D

Yeah, I'll take 2.

What do you think about the size of the one that I mounted? Do you think it's too small? I'm not sure...

TomG

Nice job. Let it run for a couple of hours and you'll probably find that it's barely warmer than ambient.  Were you having heat problems with the SSR mounted inside the box?