Custom PID

Started by robs, August 19, 2006, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

robs,
I wasn't questioning it, just didn't know if it would conduct the heat or not. I know the Electronic tech here at work usies some special grease between heat sink conections.

MRH

robs

Quote from: MRH on August 23, 2006, 11:09:07 AM
robs,
I wasn't questioning it, just didn't know if it would conduct the heat or not. I know the Electronic tech here at work usies some special grease between heat sink conections.

MRH

I think it will work. I contacted a local computer place and they said that they use a similiar thermal epoxy. I believe that most video cards have the heatsink attached with a thermal epoxy.

BillyG

Awesome job guys....  As I JUST received my BS and went with the stainless over digital, if I do this upgrade aren't I basically turning it into a digital model or is there a greater benefit besides the set it and forget it aspect????  As I live in a condo I'm not going to be able to leave it alone for HOURS at a time, the fire dept will likely show up, the nosey neighbors!!!

As far as a heat sink, believe it or not your local Remote Control hobby shop might be able to help out a little.  The heat sinks to most Nitro powered motors look like they'd work and might even look pretty cool too!!!

iceman

I think your right on track there BillyG. I can't really see any benifit of the BS Digital vs The BS Original with PID controller. I can't say for sure though because I've not tried the digital yet.
As far as the heat sink goes........... if you have a spare German Shepard that snoops around as much as mine you have an automatic heat sink every time he sniffs and licks. Just kidding. :D ;D ;)
Welcome to the forum.
Regards; Patrick.

Oldman

BillyG,

Welcome to the forums. Next, a PID controller just makes it an easier unit to use. When doing items like sausage and you want it at 160 F with little to no temp swings is when a PID unit will really shine.

Olds.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

OK! Unless I missed something it is now on the recipe site.  There are a few modifications made, and Cyber Dude has yet to frame out the images for me. Check it out! If you see something wrong let me know!

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315

Phew I'm glad this one is over with.  ;D

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

bubbagump

Guys, keep in mind we are only talking about a 4 amp. load being switched the the SSR. That's not enough of a load to require a heat sink. When I installed my 10 amp. SSR in my smoke generator I just bolted it to the case without a heat sink. I just added a little heat sink compound to the back of it before bolting it in. I've had boston butts in my BS for 24 hours without any noticable temp rise.

I personally don't think a heat sink is required whether you install your PID in the smoke generator or a separate box. Just my opinion.

Bubbagump

robs

Quote from: bubbagump on August 23, 2006, 06:13:57 PM
Guys, keep in mind we are only talking about a 4 amp. load being switched the the SSR. That's not enough of a load to require a heat sink. When I installed my 10 amp. SSR in my smoke generator I just bolted it to the case without a heat sink. I just added a little heat sink compound to the back of it before bolting it in. I've had boston butts in my BS for 24 hours without any noticable temp rise.

I personally don't think a heat sink is required whether you install your PID in the smoke generator or a separate box. Just my opinion.

Bubbagump

I agree Bubbagump - I don't think one is needed. My next one will not have a heatsink.

Thanks for the info.
rob

TomG

Quote from: robs on August 23, 2006, 06:16:15 PM
I agree Bubbagump - I don't think one is needed. My next one will not have a heatsink.

Robs, I can understand feeling as if you have too few guns, fly rods, single malts, or vintage ports,  but too few PIDs ??? ??? ??? :D

iceman

I'm running 25 / 30 amps through my smokers. Heat sink or not? I use 2 and 3 generators on each smoker and at least 2 / 1500 watt heating elements in each one. ??? I plan on using the 45 amp SSR on each one.

robs

Quote from: iceman on August 23, 2006, 08:40:37 PM
I'm running 25 / 30 amps through my smokers. Heat sink or not? I use 2 and 3 generators on each smoker and at least 2 / 1500 watt heating elements in each one. ??? I plan on using the 45 amp SSR on each one.

I'm guessing that with 2/1500 watt elements and 45amp SSR, you will need heatsinks.

iceman

I'll plan on it robs. Thanks.

robs

Quote from: iceman on August 24, 2006, 08:59:08 AM
I'll plan on it robs. Thanks.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding purchase, connections, etc. I'd be happy to help.
rob

icerat4

Are any of you guys planning on premaking these units and selling them .Just a thought.You guys did a great job doing this project  ;D.I would buy one of these .But ive got my sliderbar and temps for what i do down to a tee.All my food that has come out of my bs is great and i have it down pat.But for all the other people out there that would like this pid.It seems there might be a small market here for them.Once again great job guys. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

TomG

Ice, my humble suggestion would be to call Crydom Tech. Support(877-702-7700), describe your application, load, PID cycling rate, etc. and see which SSR configuration they would recommend. ;)