poaching of smoked sausage

Started by moss54, February 11, 2017, 12:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moss54

I want to make some pork roll but I don't have a poacher to keep temp steady. Is there any other way to poach the long casings?

Johnny

I use my turkey fryer.. I find it super easy to regulate temp by adjusting the flame control. I use it quite often for sausage.

Salmonsmoker

I have one of these units. Very accurate and clamps to the side of just about any pan.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Johnny

Salmonsmoker I have had one of these same units on my wishlist on Amazon, do you use it for cooking sous vide?

Edward176

Hi Moss54 and Welcome to the Forum. If I understand you correctly you need a container to poach sausage in? I have used a large stock pot on the oven as well as a turkey Roaster, actually any roasting pan will work. Add water and heat to 80'c (175'F) and keep a thermometer in the water. Has worked for me very well, just keep water temperature above 70'c and don't go over 80'c and you cook your sausage without bursting the casing or boiling the fat out of the meat. 

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Johnny on February 12, 2017, 09:33:58 AM
Salmonsmoker I have had one of these same units on my wishlist on Amazon, do you use it for cooking sous vide?

Yes on sous vide, also use it for finishing sausage. The propeller in the unit keeps the water moving. No hot or cold spots. Set the temperature and forget it. You don't have to worry about fatting out your sausage.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.