Low carb pineapple jerky

Started by TMB, February 15, 2017, 07:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Low carb cooking/curing has really got me interested in alternative foods .   So while at the store I came across something called mock steak.    It's very lean with almost no marbling

I remember the outstanding looking cubs of goodness muebe made......  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=107.msg461#msg461

But issue would be the carbs from the marinade, so putting my thinking cap on I went with Smokin-Gun jerky marinade with Splenda cure #1, water mix pineapple mix and water 

Recipe is .....

4 oz Smokin-Gun marinade   (only needed enough for 1.5 lbs of meat)   if more you need to adjust recipe
1/4 tsp cure #1
1 tsp  lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Splenda
3/8    packet of pineapple water drink mix  (one packet is 3/4 tsp, i took 2/3 rds of that for the marinade)

trimmed meat into cubes

mixed recipe and placed in bag for an over night bath

Will place in Bradley Wed and dry, will post on how it turns out.

Not sure how much pineapple taste it will have so this is going to be fun to try something new and use something I never heard of using before ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

http://www.smokinggunjerky.com/categories/Marinade/  here is the marinade I used
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TMB

Here are the nuggets in the Bradley for drying and will let y'all know how they turn out   

Johnny

TMB this is an absolutely awesome idea!! I live in Newfoundland Canada and Pineapple crush has always been a  "sacred" soft drink around these parts lol. Usually any tourist or people that come try and stock up b4 they return home. I have never seen pineapple crush that you add to water, I really hope that turns out good what you come up with! Looking forward to the results!
Johnny.

TMB

All done!   Little sweet, little salty and yes a little pineapple flavor.   Next time I will double the pineapple packets or find pineapple extract to use

The texture is a little chewy which I like better than crunchy jerky  ??? ???

Now not sure on carbs, I will try to see if I can figure them out.   But I believe there is not enough carbs to even measure

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Edward176

Looks really great TMB. I too prefer my Jerky a little chewy, if I can keep it around long enough.

gricardsimplycol

So what's the temperature  for the drying?  You used the smoker or a dehydrator?  And ended up being in how long?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TMB

Quote from: gricardsimplycol on February 16, 2017, 03:10:33 PM
So what's the temperature  for the drying?  You used the smoker or a dehydrator?  And ended up being in how long?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
150 to 160 is where the Bradley was at.   It does have a hard time keeping a steady temp at times so I have to watch close