Snacking sticks

Started by RAF128, January 24, 2017, 09:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I used to have a 5 lb LEM stuffed and wasted very little. Wanted a. Giver on. This is an 11 lb and 2 speed which I wanted. Just diappointed about how much meat I waste

Johnny

I believe that's the same one im using, i also had a 5 lb but broke the plunger (it was plastic) this one I think come from princess Auto. Works ok but it leaves about a cup full at the end.

Edward176

LOL, sounds like we all purchased the same 11 lb sausage stuffer. (from Princess Auto) Looks like a LEM knock off. There isn't that much left over in the bottom of the stuffer, maybe a good tennis size or a bit bigger. Makes a great burger snack while smoking the next day.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: RAF128 on January 29, 2017, 05:00:22 AM
No never did fry any, never have in the past.   My stuffer leaves a lot of meat in the bottom and in the stuffing tube.   Could have fried some of that.  By the way, this stuffer wastes alot of meat.   Don't know the make but bought at Cabelas.

I make a test patty before stuffing. That way I can adjust any seasonings, which usually is adding more salt, or possibly water. It a good practice to get use to. In your case, if you bad taste was detected prior to stuffing, you would have saved using your casings. If the test patty tasted good, then you narrow down the problem that something occurred during the smoking/cooking process.

Quote from: Johnny on January 29, 2017, 05:08:30 AM
I would say most vertical stuffers do leave a'lot at the bottom, I usually freeze that bit and add it to the next batch. I was actually thinking of purchasing a dakota hydro stuffer. Anyone use these?

I have the 10 pound Dakota Water Stuffer; which they are now calling the 9 pound stuffer. It works really well, but I've only used mine about five times since I've had it, and I've had it for at least for 8 years. I don't make big batches anymore, so I find myself not using it as much. There is virtually no "waste".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

I've heard good reviews on the Dakota, I am mainly interested because of the control you can have while stuffing without cranking.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Johnny on January 30, 2017, 02:59:53 AM
I've heard good reviews on the Dakota, I am mainly interested because of the control you can have while stuffing without cranking.

Do a search on this site. There are a few posts where a member added a hydraulic system with a foot pedal, and I believe there is a thread where one member converted his to air pressure, or was thinking of using air pressure. I never did any mods and controlled the pressure by adjusting the flow of water, and it was a smooth operation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)