Turkey bites

Started by Johnny, February 24, 2017, 05:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Turkey bite snackin sticks all ready for the 4 rack in the am!

Edward176

Looks good Johnny, Turkey is my other favourite meat besides beef, pork, chicken and venison. 

Johnny

Lol Ed, what I would give for some venison  :P :P haven't had any in quite some time.. im an advid hunter and when I lived on the mainland (Ontario) I had my fill but since I moved back to the rock its all Moose moose moose and more moose lol

Edward176

Some of my friends still hunt and there is no shortage of deer and elk meat that ends up in my freezer. My son has a friend who raises bison's on his ranch and he buys meat from him and brings some steaks and ground meat over for me to prep and grill for him, and in the process I get to enjoy some. Bears not bad but I still prefer the mundane taste of beef, pork and poultry. Must be getting old LOL.

Johnny

Johnny

watchdog56

Don't look bad but how did they taste?

Johnny

Quote from: watchdog56 on February 26, 2017, 07:28:02 AM
Don't look bad but how did they taste?
Taste is ok , kept it Fairly simple. 4 lbs turkey, 1 lb pork shoulder.. salt, garlic powder and cayenne .
If I had my time back I would have used sheep casings and water bathed to finish because casings became tough.
pretty much only did this as an experiment.

Edward176

Looks good Johnny. I too am not a fan of the collagen casings. I was having the same issues you describe here and since I've switched to sheep casings I've been very happy.

oldsmoker

Looks great. would like to know what all went into them. would like to make some for the grand kids  thank you inadvance.
OLDSMOKER

Johnny

Quote from: oldsmoker on February 26, 2017, 01:04:02 PM
Looks great. would like to know what all went into them. would like to make some for the grand kids  thank you inadvance.
Oldsmoker I made a 5 lb batch
4 lbs of turkey breast
1lb of pork shoulder
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp #1 cure
1/2 cup soy protein

Edward176

I was wondering if instead of using 1 lb pork shoulder with the 4 lbs of turkey breast could you use beef blade/chuck? I have a family member that is allergic to all Pork and would like to try making it with beef fat instead? Its domestic pork that she's allergic to since wild boar is safe to eat for her. Or is there another suggestion or advice that would help?

Johnny

Ed, I would say 10 percent beef fat would be fine to use.. cant see much of a different taste. I also forgot to add in my recipe that I used 1/2 cup of soy protein as a binder.

Edward176

Good to know Johnny, as soon as it warms up a tad I'll try your Turkey Snack Sticks with beef. Have never used Soy protein or any other form of binder for that matter, wonder how they'll turn out.

Johnny

I ordered a 25 lb bag of Soy protein from stuffers.com  a few months back.. I've been using it for a couple years in all my snack sticks and sausage. You can purchase a 1lb bag from them for something like $4.95
Ed I find using Soy protein in my snacks that it completely changes texture. Keeps em super tight and moist ! I wouldnt dream of making sticks without it.
Fresh sausages I make from scratch when cooking hold their juices and when you cut them open on your dinner plate the goodness shows!
I was going to start smoking my bacon but cant see out the window for this blizzard! Think ill wait another day ;)