Is this pork shoulder picnic still good?

Started by Thumpinbass, March 19, 2017, 07:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpinbass

Hey Everyone,   I picked up this pork shoulder picnic back around March 5th because it was only $.88/lb.   but because of the weather and my schedule, I never got around to smoking it like I wanted too and never put it in the freezer.   It's been in the fridge since I got it.   The sell by date was the 10th of March.   It's now a week past.   It hasn't been opened and still vac sealed the way I bought it. 

So...   what do you think?     Still good to smoke or freeze or no?   Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Allen

Johnny

Hey Allen,
I think if it we're me I'd open it up, smell it, feel that its not slimey and you will know if its good or not.. chances are if its vac sealed your good. Once air gets at meat it never last long.
Hope this helps
Johnny.

Edward176

Same here Thumpinbass, If its vacuum sealed I'd open it and give it a look and SMELL. Like Johnny says if it isn't slimy/slippery and the smell isn't off I'd give it a good wash under running water and have another look at it. Rely on your senses, Smell, Feel and Eye Sight. Good Luck

Habanero Smoker

Sell by dates are arbitrary, so once you go past them it is hard to determine how long it will be good for. Slime like substance covering the meat is one indication the meat has gone bad. Also any greenish discoloration is a sign that the meat has gone bad. A  sour smell is also an indication, but when you open cryovac sealed meat, you generally will get a smell of what is called "cryovac smell"; which has a slight sulphur smell. If the smell dissipates in 5 - 10 minutes, it was caused by the "cryovac smell", if the smell remains, the meat is spoiled. When in doubt throw it out; especially if it is pork or chicken.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Piker

I do not know for sure about pork but I dry age brisket that has been vacuumed packed in food saver bags for about 40 days in the frig. No problems ever so I would think the pork should be good.