Brisket

Started by Johnny, February 25, 2017, 04:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Hey Guys,
I bought this Brisket today, have any of you had experience cooking these?

KyNola

Since it is already corned I would apply a pastrami rub and make pastrami from it.

Johnny

Quote from: KyNola on February 26, 2017, 07:36:26 AM
Since it is already corned I would apply a pastrami rub and make pastrami from it.
Wont be to salty will it?

Ka Honu

Soak it in fresh water in the fridge for 8 hours or so to desalinate. Add rub and refrigerate for a couple of days before smoking, chilling, and steaming.

Johnny

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 26, 2017, 11:44:34 AM
Soak it in fresh water in the fridge for 8 hours or so to desalinate. Add rub and refrigerate for a couple of days before smoking, chilling, and steaming.
Perfect! Thanks for your advice guys, any suggestions for rubs? Ive got some Jans rub there but not sure if its the appropriate rub to use.

cathouse willy

This is the rub from Habs pastrami recipe,it's a good one

Dry Rub Ingredients:

3 TBS. coriander seeds (4 TBS. if you don't have white peppercorns).
      2 TBS. black peppercorns
      2 TBS. yellow mustard seeds
      1 TBS. white peppercorns
      2 TBS. of granulated garlic
    Makes enough rub for one brisket flat.

Smoking/Cooking Directions:

Combine the first four ingredients, and coarsely grind in a spice grinder
      or coffee grinder. Pour ground mixture into a bowl, add the granulated
      garlic and remix. Apply the dry rub to the brisket generously, working the
      rub into the meat by pressing it in with the palms of your hands. Air dry
      in the refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours, or overnight before before placing
      it in the smoker.

Johnny

Thanks Cathouse Willy, much appreciated!

Johnny

Hey Guys,
I've got This Brisket in the smoker ( just put it in) Wondering about the vent? I know for most things it is supposed to be open to let moisture out. open or closed in this situation?

thanks
Johnny.

watchdog56

I keep wide open for everything to keep moisture out.

Johnny

Johnny

A few photos of finished product, thanks to all who helped guide me through the process! I was happy with the results.

Edward176

Looks really good Johnny, but how does it taste? Nice colour and just a little fat for flavour smothered with mustard. Are you married??

Edward176

Just wondering Johnny what cut of beef brisket did you use? It looks really tasty and juicy.

Johnny

Quote from: Edward176 on March 02, 2017, 07:38:04 AM
Looks really good Johnny, but how does it taste? Nice colour and just a little fat for flavour smothered with mustard. Are you married??
Haha Ed,
Taste was great! just a tad salty for my liking and I'm a Newfoundlander lol.. I soaked it in fresh water for 10 hours, next time I think I would soak for 15 hours.. maybe even longer.
If I had my time back I would have sliced some on the deli slicer nice and thin for sandwiches.. I can taste in now,,, Rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut and swiss!!
Photo of me, my wife and lil guy :)
puts a face to the name ;)
Johnny.

Johnny

Quote from: Edward176 on March 02, 2017, 10:55:26 AM
Just wondering Johnny what cut of beef brisket did you use? It looks really tasty and juicy.
Not sure as to what cut of Brisket it was Ed, All I can say is that it come in a vac sealed bag as in the photo on top of this thread.. Didn't look the best of it when I first looked at it lol
I will see if I can post a picture of it before it was cooked and maybe you can tell from that.