Brisket

Started by Johnny, February 25, 2017, 04:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Quote from: Johnny on March 02, 2017, 11:36:54 AM
Quote from: Edward176 on March 02, 2017, 10:55:26 AM
Just wondering Johnny what cut of beef brisket did you use? It looks really tasty and juicy.
Not sure as to what cut of Brisket it was Ed, All I can say is that it come in a vac sealed bag as in the photo on top of this thread.. Didn't look the best of it when I first looked at it lol
I will see if I can post a picture of it before it was cooked and maybe you can tell from that.

Habanero Smoker

Your pastrami looks really good, and appears to be really juicy. It looks like the point. I can't translate French, but it appears from your first post that  the packaging state "point".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 02, 2017, 01:27:21 PM
Your pastrami looks really good, and appears to be really juicy. It looks like the point. I can't translate French, but it appears from your first post that  the packaging state "point".
I googled a French English dictionary Habs and the word pointe means "tip" 

Habanero Smoker

Thanks.

It hard to tell which cut it is, but looking at the shape and marbling, it's probably the point section of the brisket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

Thanks Johnny. I showed your pics of the Brisket to my wife and I think she loves me all over again, especially after I told her I can do that.. You have a lovely family Johnny, You are a lucky man :)

Johnny

Quote from: Edward176 on March 03, 2017, 11:02:16 AM
Thanks Johnny. I showed your pics of the Brisket to my wife and I think she loves me all over again, especially after I told her I can do that.. You have a lovely family Johnny, You are a lucky man :)
Thanks for the kind words Ed, I do consider myself extremely blessed! Especially for my wife putting up with all my hobbies lol.

Ka Honu

Johnny -

Just to clear up any confusion (if there is any), in the US what you started with is known as corned beef which is a cured piece of (usually) brisket (but could be bottom round/silverside or whatever). You then made that into pastrami by adding rub and smoke.

When we refer to "brisket" we usually mean the raw cut which can then be smoked, corned, stewed, braised, etc. The only reason I say any of this is that every time I see your post with the title "Brisket," my first thought is that we're talking about its most common meaning on a smoker forum - smoking an uncured brisket.

The confusion is obviously mine and has been clarified by my Canadian houseguests who astutely observed that I speak neither "Eh" nor "Newfie."

In any event, you done good.

Johnny

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 04, 2017, 10:59:11 AM
Johnny -

Just to clear up any confusion (if there is any), in the US what you started with is known as corned beef which is a cured piece of (usually) brisket (but could be bottom round/silverside or whatever). You then made that into pastrami by adding rub and smoke.

When we refer to "brisket" we usually mean the raw cut which can then be smoked, corned, stewed, braised, etc. The only reason I say any of this is that every time I see your post with the title "Brisket," my first thought is that we're talking about its most common meaning on a smoker forum - smoking an uncured brisket.

The confusion is obviously mine and has been clarified by my Canadian houseguests who astutely observed that I speak neither "Eh" nor "Newfie."

In any event, you done good.

Hi Ka Honu,
I would love to try making this again from a fresh cut, I'm going to keep my eye out to get some! Maybe easier to buy this in the city but can't get it where I live. I would love a vacation in Hawaii!! Your Canadian guest are a lucky bunch!! If ever near ill have to teach you some Newfie slang,, Eh b'y!!
Johnny.

Scoopajp

Johhny, followed same recipe and made 2 briskets , turned out amazing. Looked just like your photos. My entire family loved them so much, now I am told I have to make them regularly for family get togethers. Keep on smoking 😁

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Johnny

Excellent! Glad to hear you had good success!!
Welcome to the Forum :)

Edward176

Hi Johnny, made my brisket yesterday in the oven (weather was too cold to smoke). I'm glad I read here to soak the meat, after brining, for 8 hours in the fridge. I can see it would have been too salty. We ate about half the brisket and the rest is in the fridge resting and I'll be shaving it for cold cuts tomorrow. I can see how it'll be great tasting after smoking. Thank You Everyone.

Edward176

BTW, I was looking for instructions on posting poto's but can't seem to find it. If anyone can please re-post it AGAIN!, I"m appreciate it. Thank You

Johnny

Quote from: Edward176 on March 13, 2017, 11:00:46 AM
BTW, I was looking for instructions on posting poto's but can't seem to find it. If anyone can please re-post it AGAIN!, I"m appreciate it. Thank You
Glad to hear that turned out good for ya Ed! 
upload photobucket.. once you have that done you need to upload the photo you want to appear on here.. go to your library and click on that photo.. you will see a box which says " image" to the right of the photo.. highlight and copy the bar.
simply go here and click paste, if you like you can preview as it states down below and post!
any trouble inbox me.
good luck.

TedEbear

Quote from: Johnny on February 25, 2017, 04:41:00 PM
Hey Guys,
I bought this Brisket today, have any of you had experience cooking these?

I bought one of these last week, after reading this thread.  We have an important event next month and I want to impress our guests with a good smoked brisket.  Our local store charges $7.29/lb for a regular brisket so I figured I'd buy one of these cheaper versions and experiment. The majority of my smoking involves pork butts or cheese.

I soaked it for 15 hours or so in the fridge and changed the water once during that time.  I used the rub recipe posted on the first page of this thread, wrapped it in Saran wrap and left it in the fridge for 2 days.

I smoked it until the IT reached 150*F (around 3 hours) with hickory at 210*F and then put it in an aluminum pan sealed with foil and a cup of beef bouillon. When the IT reached 195*F I took it out and FTC for 2 hours and into the fridge for dinner later that evening.  It was 2:00am and I had to be at work in 4 hours.

Although the flavor was OK, it wasn't what I was expecting.  I'd say it has the consistency and taste of ham rather than a brisket.  My wife, who doesn't like spicy foods, said it had too much pepper in the rub.  We'll still eat it but I think I'm going to need some help from some Worcestershire Sauce.

I think I'm still going to risk a regular brisket for the main event. The butcher says he can cut down the huge 10-15 lb pieces behind the meat counter to whatever size I want.  I won't be soaking that one and I'm going to try a different rub and maybe a slightly higher chamber temp after I seal it in foil.

Ka Honu

Ted -

You're sort of talking apples and oranges here. What you seem to have bought is corned beef (a salt- and nitrate-cured piece of brisket) and by soaking, rubbing, and smoking, essentially made it into pastrami. Curing is what gives meat that distinctive "hammy" taste and soaking it only makes it less salty; it won't "uncure" it.

What you seem to want is a "traditional" Texas-style smoked brisket which only requires seasoning and cooking. Best advice is to read the posts by Pachanga and WTS on the archived Bradley recipe site before buying and cooking your "crowd pleaser."