Peameal bacon

Started by Johnny, April 09, 2017, 01:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Hey guys,
I have a bit of pork loin in cure and have plans to make peameal bacon.. once the curing is complete I plan to roll it in peameal or cornmeal, slice it, vacuum seal it and freeze. Is this the correct proceedure? 

Habanero Smoker

Yes! Except I don't slice until I'm ready to fry it.  I use medium ground cornmeal, and after removing the cure, I let the loin sit at room temperature until the surface gets a little tacky, then roll it into the cornmeal. Depending on how long you will store it, vacuum sealing and freezing is fine. If I'm freezing I'll slice the lion into 1 pound sections and vacuum seal them separately. If you are going to use it up within a week, tightly wrap in plastic wrap, then in a sealable bag works great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Excellent! Thanks Habs, only reason I had planned on slice's was to get a little extra cornmeal on the sides.. I've purchased it in the stores both ways and I prefered the slices but Im going to go your way because you have never steared me wrong!

Habanero Smoker

On most occasions, when I pan fry slices for breakfast, I will dredge the slices in fine ground cornmeal, before frying. When I'm feeling indulgent, I'll dredge the slices into the fine cornmeal, then into beaten egg, then back into the cornmeal before frying.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Thats sounds delicious! Great idea. Now im hungry lol😜