Shrink wrap

Started by Bazz, February 28, 2017, 11:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazz

Hi all, made up some maple canadian bacon and I shrunk wrapped the meat/Bradley dry rub cure is this a good idea?

Habanero Smoker

You need to give more details; as to what do you mean by shrink wrapping (vacuum sealing or just plastic wrap). Is it wrapped during the curing time, for storage?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bazz

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 28, 2017, 01:07:17 PM
You need to give more details; as to what do you mean by shrink wrapping (vacuum sealing or just plastic wrap). Is it wrapped during the curing time, for storage?
Sorry about that I am new at this

Yes I rubbed the meat and put into vacuum seal for the curing time (2 weeks ish??)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bazz

Quote from: Bazz on February 28, 2017, 01:20:26 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 28, 2017, 01:07:17 PM
Sorry about that I am new at this

Yes I rubbed the meat and put into vacuum seal for the curing time (2 weeks ish??)

Going to open up in 4 days or so add maple syrup and reseal for the remaining time (10 days or so) massaging and turning every day

Hamlet 77

You say maple cure, how do you do this I have done two lots of maple cure bacon, one with maple syrup. Reasonable result, the second with maple sugar instead of ordinary sugar, this works wonderfully.

A quck tip is to use more salt in your cure at the start then the latter mixes have a higher proportion of maple syrup/sugar.

Also I am trying a batch using vanilla salt.
Life's to short to chew grass

Bazz

Quote from: Hamlet 77 on February 28, 2017, 01:56:22 PM
You say maple cure, how do you do this I have done two lots of maple cure bacon, one with maple syrup. Reasonable result, the second with maple sugar instead of ordinary sugar, this works wonderfully.

A quck tip is to use more salt in your cure at the start then the latter mixes have a higher proportion of maple syrup/sugar.

I used Bradley's Maple Flavor Cure
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

Hamlet 77

Quote from: Bazz on February 28, 2017, 02:21:36 PM
Quote from: Hamlet 77 on February 28, 2017, 01:56:22 PM

I used Bradley's Maple Flavor Cure
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

I've not tried these cures I use a recipe in a book for curing, new to smoking the bacon after though.
Life's to short to chew grass

Habanero Smoker

Hi Bazz;

Forgot to welcome you to the forum. Nothing to be sorry about, I was unclear about your question.

Many vacuum seal when they cure their meats. I've only done it once, but really didn't see any benefits in the extra steps. Those that vacuum seal when curing state that it shortens the curing time. If you are curing a loin, that generally will take about 5 days. I've never used any of the Bradley Cures, so follow their guidelines on the length of time. Bradley used to have a curing recipe book you could download. I can't seem to find my PDF to see what they are recommending for curing times.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Bazz

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 01, 2017, 01:49:54 AM
Hi Bazz;

Forgot to welcome you to the forum. Nothing to be sorry about, I was unclear about your question.

Many vacuum seal when they cure their meats. I've only done it once, but really didn't see any benefits in the extra steps. Those that vacuum seal when curing state that it shortens the curing time. If you are curing a loin, that generally will take about 5 days. I've never used any of the Bradley Cures, so follow their guidelines on the length of time. Bradley used to have a curing recipe book you could download. I can't seem to find my PDF to see what they are recommending for curing times.
Thanks for that Habanero I appreciate the info. I am going two ways with this, first of all I am going to do the dry rub and cure for approx 14 days (I read some where 1 week per inch) even heard of guys going up to 21 days and more (30) and I am going to do a second wet cure for 72 hrs and smoke all at the same time and see which one I like better on February 15ish

Habanero Smoker

Cure #1 is a quick cure, and those long curing times are generally not needed. I've never gone over 6 day to cure my thickest loin. When you are measuring by the inch, and you are applying cure to all surfaces - a 3" diameter loin the cure only has to penetrate at the most 1.5" before it get to the center. Also it is not recommended to cure longer than two weeks using cure #1. 

Wet cure is faster; depending on the amount of salt that is used. Make sure you use an appropriate amount of cure #1 for the amount of liquid you are using..

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Bazz

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 01, 2017, 01:12:20 PM
Cure #1 is a quick cure, and those long curing times are generally not needed. I've never gone over 6 day to cure my thickest loin. When you are measuring by the inch, and you are applying cure to all surfaces - a 3" diameter loin the cure only has to penetrate at the most 1.5" before it get to the center. Also it is not recommended to cure longer than two weeks using cure #1. 

Wet cure is faster; depending on the amount of salt that is used. Make sure you use an appropriate amount of cure #1 for the amount of liquid you are using..
Ok thanks point taken will keep you informed on how it turns out thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazz

Quote from: Bazz on March 01, 2017, 02:20:17 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 01, 2017, 01:12:20 PM

Ok thanks point taken will keep you informed on how it turns out thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cherrybergher

Welcome to the forum
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Grouperman941

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Smoker John

That looks really good
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712