Bacon

Started by Johnny, February 28, 2017, 04:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Hey Ed, yes the recipe I gave you has far less salt. That's the one im going to follow next.. each belly was just over 3 lbs.
Also yes I did this as a dry rub, dextrose is just a mild sweetner.. I used a tsp on each just to reduce the harshness of the salt. Seems like alot use the maple syrup recipe but im not a fan of that type of bacon.

Edward176

Thanks Johnny, I'll be trying your recipe as soon as it warms up a bit. I agree, I made Bacon several times but I wet cured the bellies and didn't use any sweetener, be it sugar, maple syrup, dextros or anything and they turned out really good and went quickly. Besides a little too salty is ok, just a quick beer with breakfast just to get the days started right. Thanks

watchdog56

Good looking bacon Johnny.

Johnny

Quote from: watchdog56 on March 13, 2017, 05:45:18 AM
Good looking bacon Johnny.
Thanks Watchdog! I'm going to use this to make Alouettes because it turned out a tad salty.. Alouettes are a bacon wrapped beef appetizer marinated in Kiwi! Melt in your mouth good!

Johnny

Edward176

Looking Good Johnny. Can't wait to SEE and Hear how they turned out.

Johnny

Ed I've been making these for years, they are awesome!

watchdog56

Never heard of them. Do you have a recipe?

Johnny

A few years back I made a trip to Labrador to see my sister and her family, my Brother in law had these in the oven at the time and said they were good with a bit of hot sauce.. I couldn't get over how the beef melted in your mouth ( almost disintegrates ) ! Before we left to come home I bought a few packs to take with.. long story short there was only one guy who made them and went out of business shortly after because he was making them from his home, supplying them to grocery stores and the health department shut them down. ( story I was told)
About 20 years ago an East Indian fellow told me that Kiwi fruit is the best marinade to use on cheap, tough cuts of beef. one day I put 2 and 2 together..
Here is the recipe I came up with!
-Shave thin strips of beef
-squeeze 3 or 4 kiwis onto beef about 20 mins before rolling into bacon
- lay out your strips of bacon, apply your strips of beef (leaving kiwi on beef.. don't rince)
- shake on garlic powder,  oregano and some pepper.
-I then cut what us layed out in front of me into half with sizzors.
-roll
preheat oven to 350 F and bake for 25 mins
grill in oven to desired crispiness
serve with hot sauce!
enjoy :)

watchdog56

As far as beef are you talking flank steak or sirloin roast?

Johnny

I like to use sirloin roast, but anything you use would be good im sure.