New Bradley Owner

Started by JERRY FREIMAN, March 04, 2017, 07:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JERRY FREIMAN

Just picked up a new Bradley digital 4-rack smoker, the Jim Beam Model and just finished seasoning it with hickory bisquettes. Have not smoked anything in it yet but I already have something I'm not sure about. Hoping all the experienced users out there can help me. At the very bottom of the unit is my tray and sitting inside that of course is my dish of water for catching the burnt bisquettes. Above that is the drip plate and then above that are all the 4 racks. If I want to catch all the drippings and juices from a pork butt roast or a sirloin tip beef roast, how do I do that? Another tray right under the rack with the meat on it? The drip plate just runs into the water pan for the bisquettes so I'm sure not going to use that.

JERRY

Edward176

Welcome to the forum and congratulations Jerry. Yes the bowl is there to extinguish the burnt bisquettes as well as catch the fat dripping. I am always worried about fat/grease ending up on the element and catching fire. That being said I have smoked a roast on the upper rack and had a tray underneath it to catch the drippings. I just kept a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't overfill and pour down the backside wall of the smoker. Even your meat should NOT be touching the back wall. Any grease/fat could run down the back wall and between the drip plate onto the HOT element. Make sure there is space on all sides of your meat as well as your tray just below your roast. You want smoke to raise past your tray and around your meat and vent out the top vent. 

Habanero Smoker

You can also place the butt or roast inside a foil pan, to collect the juices. Just make sure the pan doesn't completely cover the rack. A pan with low sides works best. If you have a BJ's nearby, they sell lasagna pans. They have low sides and are perfect for the Bradley racks. One thing about cooking in a pan is that if you don't have a rack in the pan, the meat will be sitting in it's juices.

Like Edward176, when I'm using foil pans in the Bradley, I tend to monitor the cook more closely.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JERRY FREIMAN

Thanks for the replies from Edward176 and Habanero Smoker. Didn't think it was that simple but sure makes sense. I will look for some tin foil pans that fit and do not block off the grate. I'm thinkng too that the suggestion of a small rack inside the foil pan will keep the roast from sitting n the drippings and may in fact allow some smoke to still get underneath t.

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712