tool to cut power when internal temp reached???

Started by templeb, March 05, 2017, 09:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

templeb

Hi all!

Quick question here.  Does anyone know of a tool that you can plug your smoker into that  will cut its power once the preset internal temperature is reached?  Sometimes I get my smoked salmon started a little late. Being able to kill the smokers power once 120 was reached would be awesome.  Thanks! !!

rexster

You need a PID controller. It will do exactly what you want. Auberin's makes one that is plug and play just for Bradleys. Unless you have a talent for electronics. Which I didn't, I bought the Auber one
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

templeb

Rexter,

Thanks for the reply!

I already have one PID controlling my temperature in my smoker.  I do understand that I could have another PID also killing the power to everything when the probe monitoring the internal temperature of my fish was met, but the PID's are a little expensive and actually have a bunch of stuff internal to help them know how to turn on/off the temp to hit and keep a target temperature - which is perfect for monitoring and controlling temp of the smoker.

I was wondering if there was something simpler - that was "ON"  all the time until the set temp was reached, then was "OFF" after that - until reset.

Thanks again!

TedEbear

Read the product description of the dual probe PID below and see if that will do it for you.  It's a popular one here on the forum.

Dual-Probe PID Controller for Bradley Smoker

They also sell a less expensive single probe version that might do this, too.

Programmable PID Controller for Bradley Smoker

templeb

Thanks a bunch!

I am such a cheapo - does anyone know how to get this same functionality while spending less than about $40?

the $40 mark is where my build it myself PID controllers come in at.

Might just have to build another one!