Hanging snack sticks overnight

Started by foot, March 06, 2017, 05:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foot

Brand new to the forum so I apologize if this has been answered prior.  I am trying my hand at smoking snack sticks this weekend and was wondering if I needed to let them hang in the fridge overnight before smoking.  I have done this in the past with summer sausage but wasn't sure if the process was the same with snack sticks.

Edward176

Welcome to the Forum foot. If I read your post correctly and you are making snack sticks, ie stuffing casings with meat. Then the casings have to be dry, I leave them overnight in the fridge to dry out BEFORE smoking them so the smoke will adhere.   

foot

Thanks Edward176.  That makes sense and I guess that would mean less time in the smoker on a lower temp to dry them out.  I appreciate the reply.

Edward176

That's correct, some recipes say to hang your sausage, snack sticks, etc. in the smoker with vent fully opened on low setting for 1-2 hours, without smoke, to dry your meat. I prefer to do it overnight in the fridge and get a fresh start smoking in the morning. I've even set up my fan and used it to blow air around the meat to speed it up too. Whatever works.  :)

Johnny

Welcome to the forum foot! As Ed was saying that will save time im sure, but if your fridge is like mine theres never enough room for that., anything you do after stuffing will be fine ( eg. Refrigerate them in a bag, a container, ziplock.. ) as long as they spend 8 hours to allow the cure to do its thing. Personally I put mine in a plastic container in the fridge over night, wake up the next morning, take them out, dry each stick off with paper towels and allow to become room temperature for a couple to 3 hours before going in the pre-heated smoker @ 130 degrees. I will still let them go at this temp for 2 hours with the vent wide open before bumping up the temp and adding smoke.
Just my 2 cents!
Cheers.

foot

I knew I came to the right forum.  Awesome information Edward176 and Johnny, I really appreciate you taking the time and helping a beginner.  I have a few days to get my game plan together.  At least now I have options thanks to you guys.  Thanks again!!

watchdog56

I usually mix the meat up the night before and put in bowl and cover with cello wrap. Then take out and stuff into casings in the morning and then in put them in smoker.

foot

Thanks, watchdog56.  Good tip.  Have you had any trouble with the mixture getting too stiff and have a hard time stuffing after it has been sitting in the fridge all night?   

watchdog56

I put my stuffer in the freezer for about 1/2 hour before stuffing so the meat does not stick so much. The meat that was in the frog overnight is stiffer but it does stuff ok.

unclebuck

I stuff mine and hang them at room temperature the sheep casings.  After about 2 hrs. they go into the smoker.  I have found over the years that when I hang them at room temp to dry them, it does not require as much smoker time to get them to finishing temp with as much smoky flavour as we like.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Edward176

I learned a few things today, thanks for everyone's input :)

foot

Great info from everyone!  Glad I asked.  I really appreciate everyone's comments and am thankful that you are willing to share your expertise.

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

foot

Thanks. Amazing how much knowledge is on this forum.  Wish I would have found it sooner.

Edward176

Just so you know foot, everything I knew about meat and smoking I just told you, now I'm all tapped out :)
LOL, This is on heck of a great forum, the expertise and knowledge base is second to none and everyone here is willing to share their experiences and knowledge to help the next guy out. One day you'll be sharing your experiences with a newbie and helping him out, kind of paying it forward. Once again Welcome and Enjoy ;)