My smoker was tripping its GFI. I have been having some trouble with the generator, so I figured it was that. I plugged the generator only into the same circuit, and no trip, though I do need a microswitch.
So I plugged the cabinet in directly. Trip. It was pretty gross in there, so I degreased and rinsed and blew compressed air, and used contact cleaner on the element ends (after unplugging, of course). Tripped when tested.
I took off the back and found the issue. About an inch and a half of wire insulation was missing on one end of the element. Bare wire.
So I shrink wrapped it and no trip. I think I will probably replace the whole lead just to be safe. I can't figure out where the insulation went. It is pretty much sealed in there.