Heating issues

Started by kentc, April 02, 2017, 04:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentc

So I just change my element for the 2nd time in 2 years and this time no success.  I then plugged in the tower directly and voila there was heat.  But going back through the smoker and nothing, so it seems the element is okay but must be an issue when plugging it back in via the smoke tower.  I see a circular fuse on the back but this sucker doesnt want to move for nothing.  Is there a special proceudre for taking this fuse out?  I was thinking to try and replace it and see if that helped.  The smoker works fine and pucks move forward on the 20 min cycle without issue so am confused what else could be the issue.

Johnny

Kentc, If I'm reading this correctly your saying the smoke generator is working as it should.. when you plug the cabinet element directly into a power source you get heat. But when you use the short jumper cable from the generator to the cabinet your element doesn't come on, my guess would be try a new jumper cable.

TedEbear

If you have a multimeter you can do a continuity check on the short power cord and see if it is OK.  Next, check the output from the SG and see if there is 120V at the plug.  If there isn't then there's a loose connection inside the SG that goes to the tower. 

You said that the SG works, so the fuse on the back of it is OK.

KyNola

You mentioned a "circular fuse on the back".  If you're referring to the interior back wall of the tower, that's not a fuse.  It's the temp sensor.

Try plugging in the short jumper cable very very firmly.  Sometimes they are difficult to seat and will prevent power getting to the element.

Jjackson9333

I have a model btds76p.
The heating element stoped working. I plugged the power cord from the tower straight into the oven and it works. I plugged the smoke tower back in and checked the voltage of the short cord and it has 110v. I put a voltage meter on the short cord and it has 110v unplugged but as soon as I plug it into the oven it goes to 0v.

Habanero Smoker

Have you checked the continuity of the three wires in the short cord? Have you open the generator to see if all three wires that go to the short cord plug are connected?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Quote from: Jjackson9333 on April 03, 2017, 06:12:32 PM
I have a model btds76p.
The heating element stoped working. I plugged the power cord from the tower straight into the oven and it works. I plugged the smoke tower back in and checked the voltage of the short cord and it has 110v. I put a voltage meter on the short cord and it has 110v unplugged but as soon as I plug it into the oven it goes to 0v.
If your getting power from the smoke generator on the jumper cable then chances are you are not getting a proper connection to the cabinet. Try pushing on the plug more firmly into the cabinet end..

beefmann

Quote from: Jjackson9333 on April 03, 2017, 06:12:32 PM
I have a model btds76p.

may also be a blown inline  fuse or the thermo protection device in   the back of the oven, assuming that you  have 0 volts across the heater, may want to  check both when the  box is cold