Temprature probe is off...

Started by Timca, March 25, 2017, 03:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timca

Good afternoon.
I am preheating my digital 4 rack smoker with nothing in it and decided to check the temp as I have had unexpected results over the past three smokes.  Both to hot and to cold.  Anyhow today I set it to 250.  in about 30 min I checked it my digital thermometer said it was 270, the Bradley was set to 250 and the Bradley thermometer read 225.  So I thought I would set it to 220 but then I realized if the Bradley thermometer was inaccurately reading the box temp it would just keep it on.   Can I replace or calibrate the thermometer?

Here is it set at 220, Bradly reading 205 and my thermometer (using the oven temp probe at the same level as the internal thermometer.)  I do have the top vent closed  but that should not affect the thermometers being different...
[img][https://goo.gl/photos/bxLGWnQr6ELTTA7v6/img]

Johnny

Cant really see the readings on your generator clearly but thats normal for the bradley to operate this way if I'm understanding what you are saying. Temperature fluctuations are normal, only way around this is by using a PID.

Timca

Sorry, im still learning how to upload photos.  But if the Brad temp reads 205 and the set temp is 250 and the outside temp probe it 265 how do I set the oven for 250?  Won't it just over heat all the time? IE its trying to get to the temp of 250 thinking it is only 205 but it is realy 265... Here it is now....

Thanks
Tim

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/tgpratt/slideshow/

Habanero Smoker

As mentioned those types of temperature swings are normal, but the discrepancy between the Bradley probe, and the Therm Pro probe should not be that much. I'm not familiar with the Therm Pro, but most digital probe thermometers can not be calibrated.  Thermoworks has many models that can be calibrated. What you can do is to check it for accuracy.

When I'm checking a thermometer that I use for cooking I prefer the "Boiling Point" test. For that test you need to know your altitude. Also knowing your current barometric pressure would be helpful, but not necessary.
Boiling Point Calculator

The other method is the "Ice Bath". No need to know your altitude or barometric pressure.  The below link demonstrates how to do both the "Ice Bath" and "Boiling Point" tests.

Check Your Thermometers!

Once you can verify the accuracy of the Therm Po, when you do your test make sure the Therm Pro probe is very close to the Bradley temperature probe. The cabinet in the Bradley has different zones, though a 60°F difference in an empty cabinet is a lot. It does make a difference as to where you place the Therm Pro probe. Also you temperature readings will be different when you load food inside the cabinet. If you get the same results, then there may be a problem with the Bradley temperature probe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Quote from: Timca on March 25, 2017, 04:08:13 PM
Sorry, im still learning how to upload photos.  But if the Brad temp reads 205 and the set temp is 250 and the outside temp probe it 265 how do I set the oven for 250?  Won't it just over heat all the time? IE its trying to get to the temp of 250 thinking it is only 205 but it is realy 265... Here it is now....

Thanks
Tim

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/tgpratt/slideshow/

I actually have the same temp probe.. It's the wireless one correct? I purchased an inkbird temp controller on Amazon.ca for $45
This now controls the cabinet separate from the smoke generator, fairly quick and easy setup (with the help I had from Habanero Smoker)
Doing something like this will indeed solve your problem. If you like I can help you get set up.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Johnny on March 26, 2017, 02:56:45 AM
.......I actually have the same temp probe.. It's the wireless one correct? I purchased an inkbird temp controller on Amazon.ca for $45
This now controls the cabinet separate from the smoke generator, fairly quick and easy setup (with the help I had from Habanero Smoker)
Doing something like this will indeed solve your problem. If you like I can help you get set up.

I completely forgot that is a controller, and it is the same one as yours. He wasn't clear about using a third party controller to control the cabinet temperatures.

Timca;

What is the temperature differential setting on your Thermo Po? Reducing the differential to 2°F, will give you better control of your cabinet temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Timca

I do not have the thermo pro controlling the digital unit (yet????)  I just ran the oven censer of the thermo pro into the box so it hangs near the box probe.  I will look into this project though...