Dry brine for samlom

Started by icerat4, March 27, 2017, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Hi guys how are all ya been awhile since I've been here am I correct in sayin a 4 parts brown sugar to 1 part sugar for a simple dry brine for trout and salmon thanks

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Habanero Smoker

Hi Icerat4;

It's been a while since you last posted. The ratio between sugar and salt for a simple dry brine can vary, depending on how long you want to brine. It's been awhile since I've dry brined salmon to make lox, but when I did, I used approximately a 1 - 1 ratio (salt  to sugar by weight). But that was to make lox, not smoked salmon. I've also seen the ration as high as 4 - 1 (salt to sugar).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

I use a dry brine for my salmon smoking. Brown sugar and rock salt, nothing else. The ratio depends on the coarseness of the salt. My ratio when using rock salt the same size as the rock salt you use for making ice cream is 3 parts brown sugar to 1 part salt by weight, brined in layers, flesh down for 8 hrs. in the fridge. Rinsed only to get the solution off and placed on the smoker racks flesh side up at room temps. for a couple of hrs. to form a pellicle. Do not use the ice cream salt for food products. it is mined in it's natural form and has other naturally occurring minerals/compounds/impurities not fit for human consumption, depending on where it was mined. There is a natural/sea salt store in my local area where I purchase my sea salt that is ground about half the size of the ice cream rock salt. This changes the sugar/salt ratio. I have determined over the years, that the salt "contact points" in the ratio of sugar/salt/time determines the saltiness of your product. For my application, the smaller kernel size of the salt at a ratio of 1/2~5/8 salt to 3 of sugar @ an 8 hr. brine gives me a finished product with the proper saltiness.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

icerat4

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 27, 2017, 03:24:09 PM
Hi Icerat4;

It's been a while since you last posted. The ratio between sugar and salt for a simple dry brine can vary, depending on how long you want to brine. It's been awhile since I've dry brined salmon to make lox, but when I did, I used approximately a 1 - 1 ratio (salt  to sugar by weight). But that was to make lox, not smoked salmon. I've also seen the ration as high as 4 - 1 (salt to sugar).
nice to hear back from ya im doing pizza now lol and still smoking grilling and wood burning oven see my facebook page peace

Habanero Smoker

Sounds interesting. I just had three trees that were each about 80 years old taken down. Two oaks and one maple. Maybe I should invest in one. :)

I would love to have taken a look, but I don't do Facebook

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

Habanero Smoker

Nice looking wood fired stove.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

I am one of those Habs refers to using 4 parts rock salt to 1 part sugar, after a lot of experiment I settled on Himalayan rock salt and molasses sugar out of choice which I buy in bulk on Amazon.

Cure for about 3 days for a drier product, surprisingly it does not cause the salmon to be overly salty other than maybe the thin tail section which is only lightly covered with cure ....  ::)

So many variations possible, down to personal taste really. :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Hi Manxman;

Good to see a post from you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Hi Habs, hope all goes well with you.

Still check out the forum quite regularly and still smokin!  :)
Manxman