Anova precision cooker

Started by Johnny, April 11, 2017, 11:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

So I recieved my precision cooker in the mail and decided to give it a try on some 1.5" thick pork chops today.
My wife will absolutely not touch pork if its not cooked all the ways through so I figured this would be a great way to ensure that it turns out the way she wants it.
Instructions say fully cooked pork should be done from a range of 1 hour to 4 hours??!! Broad range if you ask me.. anyways went with my gut and set it to 140F for 4 hours ina vacuum bag. Any thoughts?

rexster

Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Johnny

Yes I seen this but it gives a range from 1 to 4 hours, ill know shortly once I bite into them lol

Ka Honu

Generally meat is "done" in a sous vide cook close to the minimum time. In the case of 1.5" pork chops your range should be around 2-5 hours. At 140oF the chops will come out medium (before searing). As you cook longer the meat stays at the same degree of doneness (medium in this case) but the texture tends to change (becomes more tender). Since I like some "tooth" to my meat I tend to stick with cook times near the lower end of the range (but that's just me; YMMV).

rexster

Quote from: Johnny on April 11, 2017, 01:20:54 PM
Yes I seen this but it gives a range from 1 to 4 hours, ill know shortly once I bite into them lol

Not knowing if you had seen that or not, I posted it. I have 3 of the Anovas in the inventory. For me, I usually go a little longer, maybe in this case 2/2.5 hours. 4 hours would probably be too much
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Johnny

Thanks guys,
I was actually shocked at how well they turned out! When I came home for my dinner I set the Anova @ 150 and dropped the chops in before I went back to work. They sat in for a total time of 4 hrs and 20 mins...I figured they would be like saw dust!
I fired up the bbq and seared them, some sauce applied and after a few mins I brought them in.
They were well done but still a moist chop! Wife enjoyed them so it was a sucess in my books!

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"