Looking for info on Risks of Cold smoking

Started by DevinM, March 30, 2017, 09:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevinM

Seems a little hard to find, I'm preparing to start doing some cold smoking soon, the infection control guy at my floor suggested contacting the agriculture gov group here for information. Planning on doing cheese and fish. He mentioned Salmonella and something else as potential risks.

Habanero Smoker

There are differences in the procedure between smoking cheese as compared to smoking fish or other meats.

To cold smoke salmon you either have to salt cure it, or use a combination of salt and nitrites - though using nitrites may alter the flavor of the fish. The salt and/or nitrites will stop or slow down the rate of  growth of any pathogens that may be on the surface. Also the smoke has antimicrobial properties that help prevent the growth of bacteria.

This link gives some information on both hot and cold smoking salmon:
Smoked Salmon

Keeping the cooking temperature below 85°F if very important, since fish proteins begin to cook at around 86°F. Though the link to the article below states that cold smoking fish, the temperature should stay below 80°F.
Cold Smoking Nova Lox

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

DevinM,

I don't have time to research this morning, but you might try the U of Georgia extension service.(link below) They are one of the major food safety/food preservation research facilities in the US and through the extension service connected to the nationwide university extension system. There may be some publications from west coast U's on fish process and preserving.

Side note; for anyone that is interested in methods of safe food prep, preserving, hot water bath preserving, pressure canning, This is an incredible resource. Much of the USDA recommendations come from here.

http://extension.uga.edu/
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.