Started by Bthursty, April 03, 2017, 06:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bthursty

Hi everyone, my name is Bruce and I'm an alcoholic..........oops, sorry wrong forum. I have been wanting a Bradley Smoker for years, but couldn't, or may didn't want to make the effort of time since I knew once I was hooked, food would take on a new meaning for me. I purchased it to do beef jerky, but my first project was a sirloin tip roast. It was AWESOME. I couldn't have been happier....ok, I could be, but I didn't know it yet. I haven't done any jerky yet, so I'm looking forward to this weekend and some me time with the smoker. I have a question though, I have seen a number of recipes and I have a jerky rub I put onto the muscle meat, but I'd like to hear what is the best bisquettes for flavour. I know I may get a whole bunch of different answers, so most votes wins.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to the forum. (Probably an answer on this forum somewhere, but I haven't figured out how to navigate the site yet)

Johnny

Welcome to the forum Bthursty,
I would say go with Hickory and you cant go wrong 😉
Personally I don't get an actual "taste " from which smoke I use,, I just find one has a stronger smoke flavour than others.
Someone not long ago posted which flavours went with what when I was asking about alder.. I'll see if I can post that for you.
Cheers,
Johnny.

Johnny

Something I found awhile back.... But keep in mind, it's solely based on the flavour that works best with you. Treat this as a rough guide and experiment from there.

Bradley smoke pucks:

Hickory
Goes with just about everything, use it on Pork and Beef

Mesquite
Stronger smoke flavor use it primarily on beef sparingly

Cherry
Lighter flavor use it on Chicken

Pecan
Lighter smoke flavor as well and goes great with chicken and turkey

Alder
Goes great with any fish and bacon

Maple
Sweet flavor have used on fish and ham

Apple
Lighter flavor that goes great with cheese and good on pork

Jim Beam
Goes great with Beef a little bit lighter than Hickory

Oak
Goes great with beef and fish

Alder and maple give a rich and distinct flavour commonly used with seafood, hams, and bacon

The stronger and very distinct flavours of mesquite, oak and hickory are commonly used for smoking beef, game meat and pork

Apple and cherry impart a sweeter, milder smoke flavour, commonly used with poultry and wild game meat

Specialty Blend is a specially formed blend with a distinct flavour that is mild enough for any dish

Hamlet 77

If I'm trying anything new I use alder or apple, you can't go wrong with either IMHO.

However, if you like stronger flavours I'd use oak, or even beech.

So in other words go with what you feel comfortable with.....

Hardly helpful I know, but just my input.
Life's to short to chew grass

Bthursty

Thanks Johnny, I purchased a couple varieties today so I will try a couple different smokes this weekend. I'll make sure I clean out the smoker between batches.
Cheers

Johnny

Quote from: Bthursty on April 04, 2017, 08:08:14 PM
Thanks Johnny, I purchased a couple varieties today so I will try a couple different smokes this weekend. I'll make sure I clean out the smoker between batches.
Cheers
No problem, not nesssary to clean the cabinet every time "unless" you have grease drippings in excess that can create a potential fire.. A good practice is to wash the racks and drip tray between uses, also try and keep debris from building up in the smoke generator bisquette feeder!

cherrybergher

Welcome to the forum, In my experience the fruit woods have a nice subtle flavour
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

tskeeter

Apple is my go-to.  Use it for cheese, turkey, nuts, and pork ribs.
Hickory for large cuts of meat, such as pork shoulder for pulled pork.  Also use this for beef.
Alder for fish.

Tried cherry on ribs once.  Too sweet for my taste.

Bthursty

Just a quick update on the jerky. I used the whiskey oak bisquettes and it turned out great. So good in fact that the kids took it all. Making another 6 pounds this weekend and doing some turkey jerky as well. Gonna try some hickory and mesquite on the two batches. Have a great Easter everyone!

Johnny

Happy it worked out for ya!
Happy Easter to you and yours as well,
Johnny.