Boneless Chickens

Started by RSpence, April 12, 2017, 06:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSpence

I have two 2.5lb boneless chickens that I would like to smoke. Tied up they are about 10 inches round and about 3 inches high. From reading other posts I can average about 1 hour per pound, 2.5 overall smoking time, for the general smoking time getting to 165F IT for whole chickens. Should I use this a time guideline or is there another, better time that I should use? I plan on brining them overnight to keep them moist while smoking. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

cherrybergher

Chicken can get a bit rubbery in the bradley. Since you mentioned they are boneless are they also skinless?  I've never done a whole chicken before, but when I do drumsticks etc, I'll smoke them for about 2-3 hrs @225 with cherry then finish to sauce and crisp the skin on the grill, checking that the internal temp of the chicken hits 165-170  I do a little spritzing of them with apple juice before I put them in the smoker.  Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

RSpence

Yes, the chickens do still have the skin on. That was my thinking too, finishing them off on the grill or in the oven to crisp up the skin. I've also heard/read that applying olive oil will help with the crisping of the skin while in the smoker.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: RSpence on April 13, 2017, 03:32:59 PM
Yes, the chickens do still have the skin on. That was my thinking too, finishing them off on the grill or in the oven to crisp up the skin. I've also heard/read that applying olive oil will help with the crisping of the skin while in the smoker.

Air drying them uncovered in the refrigerator for 2 - 8 hours prior to placing them in the smoker will remove moisture from the skin and help during the crisping phase on the grill or under the broiler. Just take them out of the refrigerator and leave at room temperature for about an hour, prior to placing them in the Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TMB

Just my 2 cents worth, but I would brine then wrap in bacon before you smoke them.   

I have cooked chicken this way quit a few times and it is the only way I can do them in my OBS.     Not the greatest but they do come out good
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Jim McConnell

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 14, 2017, 01:56:37 AM
Quote from: RSpence on April 13, 2017, 03:32:59 PM

Air drying them uncovered in the refrigerator for 2 - 8 hours prior to placing them in the smoker will remove moisture from the skin and help during the crisping phase on the grill or under the broiler. Just take them out of the refrigerator and leave at room temperature for about an hour, prior to placing them in the Bradley.

Quote from: TMB on April 14, 2017, 11:53:07 AM
Just my 2 cents worth, but I would brine then wrap in bacon before you smoke them.   

I have cooked chicken this way quit a few times and it is the only way I can do them in my OBS.     Not the greatest but they do come out good

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk