Maui Ribs

Started by Cndngrl, April 23, 2017, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cndngrl

Third use of the smoker today. First two uses I cold smoked cheese, and some back bacon. Bacon turned out amazing. Cheese is vac sealed, so that's a wait and see. Today I decided to make dinner. As I'm new to this I decided to just use a recipe out of the booklet that came with the Bradley...can't go wrong with a manufacturer tested recipe right? Jokes on me, because dinner went very very wrong. Followed recipe to a T. Ribs were done in half the time recipe stated. I pulled them early, thinking no big deal, I'll just reheat at dinner hour. But hubs couldn't wait to try them so cut off a bone. I don't have words for how dry it was.
I guess my question is have any of you guys used this recipe? Or any of Bradley's recipes, and if so what was the outcome? Any hints or suggestions on where I might have gone wrong? Or maybe hints or suggestions on cooking ribs all together. I'd post a link to the recipe of I knew how  ;) 

Cndngrl

I forgot. I don't know if it matters, but at the same time I was doing some store bought sausage that I was going to use this week in a different dish (that ended up being dinner, and was great).  And the vent was 1/2 open.

Also thanks for your feedback.

Johnny

Sorry to hear about your first attempt at ribs, I did some spare ribs a week or so ago following this recipe and they turned out amazing.. here is the link, look under pork section..
https://web.archive.org/web/20141231073502/http://www.susanminor.org/forums/
Also check out Amazingribs.com for more recipes.

Johnny

Quote from: Cndngrl on April 23, 2017, 03:58:08 PM
I forgot. I don't know if it matters, but at the same time I was doing some store bought sausage that I was going to use this week in a different dish (that ended up being dinner, and was great).  And the vent was 1/2 open.

Also thanks for your feedback.
I would say most all on here "always" operate with the vent wide open. This lets moisture out.

Johnny

Cndngrl

Quote from: Johnny on April 23, 2017, 04:28:17 PM
https://web.archive.org/web/20150915123419/http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?89-Pork

Thanks Johnny. I actually debated between using the pictorial for ribs on here, but felt for some reason I'd be safer trying a Bradley tested recipe. I'll give your ribs a go next time. My take away from today is that this may be trial and error learning experience.
On a side note, the majority of my cooking always involves trying to keep moisture in. What am I missing with leaving the vent open? Why do I want to let moisture out? Won't this mean dry meat?

Habanero Smoker

What type of ribs did you use. I don't have the book, but the recipe on the website stated to use beef short ribs with or without the bone. I have to say it is an odd recipe. One that calls for par cooking the ribs prior to placing them in a marinade.

Leaving the vent 1/2 opened shouldn't have been any problem with this cook. I still use the vent adjustment for smoking cooking, especially during colder periods. As long as you prevent condensation inside the cabinet, the cooking temperature will not be effected. If you want to use vent adjustments, that will depend on your load, and what you are smoking. For example; chicken with skin will produce a lot of moisture inside your cabinet; at least during the first stages of cooking; so you may want to use a wide open vent (at least to start with).

The reason why many members state to leave the vent fully open is to prevent condensation inside the smoker. Condensation does at least two things during your cook. One; it can produce what is called "black rain". That is when condensation on the ceiling will drip back down on your food, producing black spots, that not only look unappetizing, but can leave a bitter taste.

The second problem with condensation, is that it can bring the cabinet temperature down. Some of the heat energy from the element is use to convert moisture to steam. If too much steam is trapped in the cabinet, and the air in the cabinet reaches its saturation point, the steam will begin to condense again back to liquid form. At this point more energy is needed to convert that liquid back to steam, and this will drop your cabinet temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Habs says it all ! 😊

Cndngrl

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 24, 2017, 02:57:12 AM
What type of ribs did you use. I don't have the book, but the recipe on the website stated to use beef short ribs with or without the bone. I have to say it is an odd recipe. One that calls for par cooking the ribs prior to placing them in a marinade.

Leaving the vent 1/2 opened shouldn't have been any problem with this cook. I still use the vent adjustment for smoking cooking, especially during colder periods. As long as you prevent condensation inside the cabinet, the cooking temperature will not be effected. If you want to use vent adjustments, that will depend on your load, and what you are smoking. For example; chicken with skin will produce a lot of moisture inside your cabinet; at least during the first stages of cooking; so you may want to use a wide open vent (at least to start with).

The reason why many members state to leave the vent fully open is to prevent condensation inside the smoker. Condensation does at least two things during your cook. One; it can produce what is called "black rain". That is when condensation on the ceiling will drip back down on your food, producing black spots, that not only look unappetizing, but can leave a bitter taste.

The second problem with condensation, is that it can bring the cabinet temperature down. Some of the heat energy from the element is use to convert moisture to steam. If too much steam is trapped in the cabinet, and the air in the cabinet reaches its saturation point, the steam will begin to condense again back to liquid form. At this point more energy is needed to convert that liquid back to steam, and this will drop your cabinet temperature.

Thanks Habs (if I can call you that). You're explanation about the vent makes total sense to me, and I appreciate it because  the kids want bone in skin on chicken  tried next.

I did use beef short ribs as the recipe called for. And you're
right, it was an odd recipe. Next time I'm just going to go with my gut...which told me to use a recipe from the forums instead. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated 

Habanero Smoker

Habs is fine.

I find beef ribs difficult to cook properly. Some barely have meat, and then others are very meaty. I've never found a recipe that worked correctly using the time given. If it is a long cook, 5 or more hours, I will start checking for tenderness about an hour early. If it is a short cook; 2 - 4 hours; I'll start checking for tenderness about 30 minutes early.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

I've got to apologize, I "assumed" you were using pork ribs, didn't realize it was beef. The links I forwarded was for pork but none the less looks like you found what your looking for!
Thanks to Habs! He will steer us all in the right direction lol

Cndngrl

Quote from: Johnny on April 27, 2017, 02:50:00 AM
I've got to apologize, I "assumed" you were using pork ribs, didn't realize it was beef. The links I forwarded was for pork but none the less looks like you found what your looking for!
Thanks to Habs! He will steer us all in the right direction lol

No need to apologize:) maybe next time I have a question I'll learn to give all the pertinent information.
Thanks for your help Johnny.

Johnny