trying a brisket for the first time

Started by takem01, May 13, 2017, 01:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

takem01

doess brisket stall like pork shoulders?

takem01

I'm thinking yes.
seems to have stalled right around 145 just like pork shoulder.

Johnny

Hi takem01
I could be wrong, and if I am im sure someone will correct me but I'm pretty sure all meat stalls out at some point when the collagen and connective tissue breaks down and turns into gelatin.

You probably are finished your brisket by now, hopefully it has turned out great for you!

Habanero Smoker

If you thermometer probe is set at the right depth, when I use to monitor the temperature rises more closely, and later I got a Stoker which enabled me to chart the temperature while cooking, I discovered there are usually two stalls. One occurs around 140°F, which I believe is when proteins denature (change structure) and release a lot of moisture quickly. This is often observable when cooking poultry, and this stall is very short - less than an hour.

All meat muscle has connective tissue, but tough cuts like brisket and pork shoulder have a lot of tough connective tissue. This is the tissue that Johnny is referring to. The stall occurs around 160° (some sources say as low as 150°), and this stall can last for a few hours. If you want to "power" through the stall, when the meat hits around 160°F, wrap it in foil. This will shorten the stall considerably.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

takem01

Thanks, guys. It did stall at about 140, but I eventually got thi IT up to 185. Passed the fork test, so I pulled it and wrapped it in foil & kitchen towels for 20 minutes to rest (longest 20 minutes of my life). Sliced it, & served it with onion, sharp cheddar, and bread/butter pickles. Man, it was terrific.

kootenay

Quote from: takem01 on May 13, 2017, 01:44:46 PM

I did my first brisket yesterday. I had read many different ways of doing it so I just followed the norm. Mine was 6 lbs, and I read about 1.5 hours per pound for a total of 9 hours. I put it in the smoker at 8 am and set to 225 ( as the norm said ), at 6 pm the internal temp was only 165 so I cranked it up and then at 7 pm, it was only at 171. I pulled it off as everything else was ready including the neighbours and it definitely could have stayed in for a lot longer but nobody wanted to eat at midnight. The flavour was incredible, but not as tender as it could have been.

It was my first time with such a long smoke, so next time I'll just plan for a longer time.

cherrybergher

Quote from: kootenay on May 22, 2017, 09:36:34 AM

I did my first brisket yesterday. I had read many different ways of doing it so I just followed the norm. Mine was 6 lbs, and I read about 1.5 hours per pound for a total of 9 hours. I put it in the smoker at 8 am and set to 225 ( as the norm said ), at 6 pm the internal temp was only 165 so I cranked it up and then at 7 pm, it was only at 171. I pulled it off as everything else was ready including the neighbours and it definitely could have stayed in for a lot longer but nobody wanted to eat at midnight. The flavour was incredible, but not as tender as it could have been.

It was my first time with such a long smoke, so next time I'll just plan for a longer time.

Or, next time you could even do it a day in advance I will still be excellent.  Last year I did a 15LB butt, pulled it for sandwiches and quesadillias, I vacuum sealed it and froze it.  Reheated it (slowly) about 6 weeks later with a little apple juice.  Of the 5 or so butts I did over the course of last summer it was the best, very deep, rich smokey flavour
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

kootenay

Thanks for the info cherrybergher. I will try that, or get up at 3 am I guess? lol

cherrybergher

Quote from: kootenay on May 22, 2017, 10:47:39 AM
Thanks for the info cherrybergher. I will try that, or get up at 3 am I guess? lol

That sounds about right LOL  8)
BDS 4 Rack

watchdog56

Just looking for an answer as to why? Bu how many times did you open the door to check on it? The more the door is opened the longer it takes, (found this out the hard way).

cherrybergher

Quote from: watchdog56 on May 22, 2017, 01:07:17 PM
Just looking for an answer as to why? Bu how many times did you open the door to check on it? The more the door is opened the longer it takes, (found this out the hard way).

I think that may have something to do with temp. recovery each time you open the door I suspect consistent temps are key in finishing time, but thats just my two cents
BDS 4 Rack

TedEbear

Quote from: kootenay on May 22, 2017, 09:36:34 AM

I did my first brisket yesterday. I had read many different ways of doing it so I just followed the norm. Mine was 6 lbs, and I read about 1.5 hours per pound for a total of 9 hours.

The rule of thumb is 1.5-2 hours per lb on butts and briskets but I have had an 8 lb butt take 20 hours to reach an IT of 195*F.  Plan way ahead and don't forget several more hours of FTC after it is finished cooking to let the juices redistribute.  As someone else mentioned, I think a reheated butt tastes better than one that was cooked that day.   ;)