Pastrami error

Started by Hamlet 77, April 23, 2017, 01:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamlet 77

Tried to smoke a 6 pound pastrami today, according to a recipe in a book I have, spent 9 hours smoking it, ended up using a Texas crutch just to get the internal temprature to 72 degrees C, as per recipe. Cut into it, it is raw, seriously raw, finishing of simmering in stock.

Strike that recipe from my list.

My first Bradley failure and I'm blaming the recipe.
Life's to short to chew grass

Grouperman941

What was your box temp?
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Johnny

Quote from: Hamlet 77 on April 23, 2017, 01:14:55 PM
Tried to smoke a 6 pound pastrami today, according to a recipe in a book I have, spent 9 hours smoking it, ended up using a Texas crutch just to get the internal temprature to 72 degrees C, as per recipe. Cut into it, it is raw, seriously raw, finishing of simmering in stock.

Strike that recipe from my list.

My first Bradley failure and I'm blaming the recipe.
72 degrees C = 161 degrees F ,, something must have been reading wrong because thats a cooked temp!

Johnny

This is one I did not long ago, perhaps if one has never seen one before they may think its raw.
Just saying.

Ka Honu

I smoke at around 225°F (about 107°C) to an IT in the vicinity of 190°F/88°C for flavor. It's generally still "chewy" (maybe even tough) at that point and (after cooling) usually needs to be tenderized by steaming (back up to 200-205°F/93-96°C or dumping in the sous vide (180°F/82°C for 10 hours). Then slice across the grain and it'll be wonderful.

Hamlet 77

The oven temp according to the recipe was 86 degrees C, realise that was my first error.

I realised there was an error somewhere as the reading on my Bradley probe said 72 degrees C.

Everything is still a learning experience with each new recipe I use, the final result was great, just not how I got there.
Life's to short to chew grass