I dont unsterstand the heat issues

Started by Danc, April 28, 2017, 08:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danc

Well this will be my first time responding to a post although Ive followed this forum for a couple years now.
After 3 years of sometimes rewarding and sometimes frustrating attempts at sausage making I have finally settled on 5 different sausage recipes that my family and friends all like . Some like enough to actually buy from me over the local shops.
Any way what I really want to comment on is the performance of the Bradley 6 rack digital smoker.
I have read many complaints and so many mods and just don't really understand given the results my 6 rack has consistently delivered for me.
I usually load my Bradley with 20 to 25 lbs of sausage rings or  chubs. I also usually expect 12 to 14 hours for a fool proof and consistant result.
I recently had the need for 25 lbs of Garlic Ham Rings  and the weather was not in my favor.
At 7 pm I heated the Bradley to 120  and the hung the sausage in for an hour.  I then raised temp to 130 and smoked for 40 minutes.(we prefer light smoke)  After 1 hour at 130  I then raised the temp to 150 and shut it up for the night.
The next morning at 8 am I checked  and the sausage had raised to 140 and the Bradley was sitting at 148.
I then raised to 160 and finished the sausage in about 2 hours.   Total 14 hours.  I am very satisfied with this performance.

Now comes the kicker.  My poor little Bradley did this on my back deck and the outside temperature was  WAIT FOR IT  Minus 32 Celsius  all night.

Johnny

I cant explain how your bradley held a constant temperature in that extreme cold but what I would like to know is where on earth do you live that it gets that cold over night this time of year?

TMB

Quote from: Johnny on April 28, 2017, 12:11:34 PM
I cant explain how your bradley held a constant temperature in that extreme cold but what I would like to know is where on earth do you live that it gets that cold over night this time of year?
Me to?    ??? ??? ??? 

My OBS is straining if the temp drops below 40 degrees  here in Alabama :(    A small cook turns into an over night ordeal  ???
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

teamlund

Block the wind block the wind block the wind!!! I have a 6" wide by 6" tall plastic drain tile that I wrapped with the foil insulation to help block the wind. I set that over the vent and even that helps if I can't get out of the wind. But if it's not windy or I can get out of the wind no issues wth temp. At least not enough to cause head aches. Love my digital Bradley. Mowed the lawn the other day while smoking beer can burgers and it maintained a steady 220 to 260 degrees and made the best damn burgers I have ever had. Never got off the mover in 90 minutes... can't ask for much more