Waves Hello from the North East of England

Started by kragbell, April 30, 2017, 08:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kragbell

Hi All -

Hoping this forum proves to be a rich resource for future smoking projects and hints / tips for getting best out of the smoker (modding or not!).

Picked up smoker Monday, Seasoned Friday, smoked a pork shoulder for pulled pork Saturday - baby sat it most of the time (12 hours) watching in alarm as the temperature rose & fell but the end result was very edible.

Will be easier once I'm happy setting & forgetting.

Cheers - Andy

EDITS already!  4 rack digital smoker - seasoned with Oak and cooked pork shoulder with Hickory (the two bisquette flavours I received with the smoker).

Johnny

kragbell

Thanks for the tip Johnny.

I'll try another few smokes (ribs n brisket definitely) and see how they go.

It would be a shame to have to bypass the built in regulator (one of the reasons I went for the digital over the original) but the cost of the inkbird seems low enough to give a try if required.

Johnny

I have the same smoker and produced alot of fantastic meals before I used the inkbird "but" once I started using the temperature controller everything just works sooooo much better! Heats up faster, maintains a constant temp (within a couple degrees) and food doesn't take nearly as long! Well worth the few bucks.

Hamlet 77

Funny I've got my first pulled pork marinating as I type, been in 24 hours all ready, gonna smoke it tomorrow for my evening meal, the main axe tastes wicked.

I only hope it is a genuine US style pulled pork, because I'm sick to death of the rubbish we get in the UK claiming to be US style smoked this, barbecued that or slow cooked the other. My ribs at Easter worked a charm hoping this is the same.
Life's to short to chew grass

TedEbear

Quote from: Hamlet 77 on May 06, 2017, 06:40:43 AM
Funny I've got my first pulled pork marinating as I type, been in 24 hours all ready, gonna smoke it tomorrow for my evening meal, the main axe tastes wicked.

Be sure and allow plenty of time for it to get done and FTC for a few hours.  It's always better to finish a little early and reheat if you have to than to rush it through the slow cook. especially during the stall.

cherrybergher

Welcome to the forum, rest assured this is a great resource
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Hamlet 77

Quote from: TedEbear on May 06, 2017, 08:15:36 AM
Quote from: Hamlet 77 on May 06, 2017, 06:40:43 AM

Be sure and allow plenty of time for it to get done and FTC for a few hours.  It's always better to finish a little early and reheat if you have to than to rush it through the slow cook. especially during the stall.

Took six hours at 121 C absolutely epically georgeous. ANOTHER success.
Life's to short to chew grass

tbyrd2000

Hi Johnny

I'm curious how you would use this to control the temperature in a BS as surely the digital unit does that? I'm familiar with the Inkbird kit as I use a temp/humidity version in a home built curing chamber.

I'm also victim to swinging temperatures in my 6 rack DBS so would be really grateful if you'd share the details.

Regards, David