Temperature Issues

Started by pwven, April 30, 2017, 10:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwven

Have done a lot for reading on this very informative forum. Planning to buy 4 or 6 rack digital smoker.
It look like the main general problem with these smokers is getting up to set temperature and maintaining it?
Fitting the second 500 watt heater seem to solve most of the problem.
What can the Bradley digital controller  handel in terms of amps with the two heaters installed? The current should be less on the controller as we are on 220 volts.
Our minimum temperature in winter is about 28F and in summer the max is about 107F. In these temperatures the need for a second heat may not be necessary?
Please give me some feedback for me to make up my mind.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor
Second element 2 x 500 Watt

Johnny

Most are using PID controllers that have done mods and even those like myself who haven't . I run my 4 rack using an inkbird  308 temp controller with the stock element and have 0 issues with maintaining a constant temperature. Always within -3 or + 3 F degrees from whatever I set it at!

pwven

Thanks for your feedback Johnny. Is the Inkbird controller a single controller, controlling only the heater ellement?
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

Johnny

Yes, you basically run both the smoke generator and cabinet separately.

tskeeter

Pwven, the US version of the Bradley controller is protected by a 10 amp fuse.  This would make the recommended continuous operation limit 8.5 amps (85% of the lowest rated component).  I am aware of one forum member who has been running a 1,000 watt heating system using the stock Bradley control system for several years.  Seems to work for him.  But, My brother, the electrical engineer, periodically checks my electrical work, so I play it conservatively.

pwven

Quote from: Johnny on April 30, 2017, 04:30:20 PM
Johnny in this case does it mean that I can buy the cheaper original Bradley smoker and not the digital if I get a PID controller?
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

pwven

Quote from: tskeeter on April 30, 2017, 09:23:48 PM
Pwven, the US version of the Bradley controller is protected by a 10 amp fuse.  This would make the recommended continuous operation limit 8.5 amps (85% of the lowest rated component).  I am aware of one forum member who has been running a 1,000 watt heating system using the stock Bradley control system for several years.  Seems to work for him.  But, My brother, the electrical engineer, periodically checks my electrical work, so I play it conservatively.
Thanks for the info tsheeter. We are on 220 volt supply so with one 500 watt heater element it will only draw 2.3 amps, and with 1000 watt the currant draw will be 4.6 amps.
I will phone the supplier of the Bradley smokers on Wednesday and get more information on the locally supplied units.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

Johnny

Quote from: pwven on May 01, 2017, 03:08:37 AM
Quote from: Johnny on April 30, 2017, 04:30:20 PM
Johnny in this case does it mean that I can buy the cheaper original Bradley smoker and not the digital if I get a PID controller?
Absolutely!

pwven

Thanks a lot Johnny, that is what I am going to do. Must just look for a local PID controller that will do the job as the suggested PID is not available in SA.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

pwven

I am looking to find a suitable PID controller and found this one at a very reasonable prise. Will this one work?

http://www.keld.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Manual_KLT11DS_EN.pdf

Looking forward to your comments, if positive I am placing my order in couple of days.

Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

Johnny

From what I can see it looks like it will work just fine. Just be sure your plugs on the smoker, power supplies and such are compatible with this unit.

Johnny

Ill ask someone to have a look at this post who has alot more experience with these things to double check.

Johnny

Excellent! Sounds like you know your way around electronics, having that knowledge will definitely make things go easier for you in this case.

Smoker John

Quote from: Johnny on April 30, 2017, 12:13:48 PM
Most are using PID controllers that have done mods and even those like myself who haven't . I run my 4 rack using an inkbird  308 temp controller with the stock element and have 0 issues with maintaining a constant temperature. Always within -3 or + 3 F degrees from whatever I set it at!

Johnny are you using the inkbird on a digital smoker? If so I may look into this, thanks
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712