No Power to Heat Element

Started by rklumb1960, May 01, 2017, 06:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rklumb1960

I have a BS611 and have used a PID controller since I started, about 18 months.  I recently replaced the heat element with a 750 watt element.  I can finally reach higher temps after a year of smoking at 150F to 180F max.  On my initial smoke with the new element I was running the controller at 275F and I started to loose temp.  I checked the leads on the heating element and no power.  After removing the back I completed a full continutiy test and found all the wires to be fine.  The test was also succssfull on the fuse.  I tried a test on the high heat sensor and no continuity.   I ordered a new fuse and heat sensor today. The high heat sensor obviously did not reset as I expected.  My fear is that the hear element is generating enough heat on the back wall to trip the high heat sensor and this will continue to be a problem.   If this continues I am considering bypassing the fuse and heat sensor and taking my chances as this is very annoying.   Maybe it was a bad sensor and the new one will work just fine.  Has anyone experienced this issue and how did you solve it?  thanks

Habanero Smoker

Hi rklumb1960;

Welcome to the forum.

The model you have the sensor is set for 250°F, but has a 20 - 50 degree tolerance so it could stay on for as high as 300°F or shut off as low as 270°F. The average temperature that it will shut down the smoker is 280°F. So you may get a sensor that is more heat tolerant, or you may not. Sometimes if you place an ice cube on the sensor, it may click back into place.

Even when using a PID, I would still feel comfortable without a backup system that will shut the unit down, if the PID did fail. There have been reports by some members that their PID had fail

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rklumb1960

Thanks for the feedback.  I have a temp sensor on order along with a new fuse so I will try again with the new parts.  I agree the bypass would be the last resort as I do not want a fire even if the unit is outside of a structure.  I did also have a failure in my PID that stopped the power from the heat element but it could very well happen where the PID did not reduce power when the desired temp was reached. I was a bit frustrated at the time as I had multiple failures during a pork shoulder preparation and it took a whole day to diagnose them all.  Just to name a few, the fuse blew in the smoke unit, the PID power to the heat element went out and the temp sensor went out throughout the smoking process.  I finally finished it in the oven. I guess you need to take the good with the bad when you modify the standard.  Now that I have learned a great amount about my smoker, I can diagnose it a lot faster.       

gricardsimplycol

Have you heard of this type of stuff without any modifications and just the way it comes from factory.
Reason I ask is I have a VIA and just ordered the pid

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure what you mean by a VIA. There are many posts by members stating that they have blown either the high temperature sensor, and/or the inline fuse using their unmodified Bradley. It's best to keep your Bradley under 260°F. I have an earlier model, so my high temperature sensor will not disengage until I reach around 320°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)