Spyguy's Lox recipe ....how much fish does it cure?

Started by AkBillyBow, May 03, 2017, 04:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AkBillyBow

All,

I just stumbled upon Spyguy's Lox recipe ....and I must make some!!  I have done a lot of reading and cannot find out how much salmon his recipe is for.  It seems like a large quantity of ingredients, so I figure it must do a lot of salmon.  Anyone have any idea of how much salmon the recipe is written for?  I don't want to waste any, and would like to cut it down if need be.

Thanks!!!!

AkBillyBow

Grouperman941

It is for one 10-12 pound fish. I tried it with a slightly smaller fish (8 lbs.) and used the full dry cure but was able to cut the wet in half.

(It says this on page 1 of the recipe I have.)

Set aside the time and do it exactly. The final product makes most commercial lox taste like cat food. Amazing.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

AkBillyBow

Grouperman941...thanks for the reply!  Wow....that's a lot of stuff for 1 fish.  5 lbs. of salt and 6 lbs. of brown sugar.....wow.

I will give it a try and see how it works out.  It seems that everyone likes it!!

Thanks again!!!

AkBillyBow

Habanero Smoker

If your fillets are only 2 or 3 pounds, you can scale down the dry cure proportionately. Though if you plan to make this again in the future, the dry cure lasts almost indefinitely when store at a cool dark place in an air tight container.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gricardsimplycol

All this talk and neither if you give the recipe ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gricardsimplycol

paulopadrao

Have fun. If want the recipe send me a email [email protected]  future i go put all my recipes . cure salmon, manual smoker portuguese with ice for a cool smoke. Now i have my bradley digital and cooler smoke. Nice...

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

BBQ_Ben

If you like lox - this is better than anything you've bought commercially. Good luck! And do watch times and temps closely. Left mine in liquid a little too long on my last batch and it came out a little too soft, but flavor is still outstanding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk