Storing Smoked Salami

Started by pwven, May 06, 2017, 10:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwven

I found a nice recipe for smoked salami that I want to make shortly. My question is for how long can you store smoked salami and how must it be stored?
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor
Second element 2 x 500 Watt

Gafala

Salami as I know it is done in a curing cabinet, a mold will develop as it cure's and the storage is not a problem. I have a curing cabinet that I made out of a small Coke refer using Pid's to control themp and humidity.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

pwven

Quote from: Gafala on May 06, 2017, 12:08:19 PM
Salami as I know it is done in a curing cabinet, a mold will develop as it cure's and the storage is not a problem. I have a curing cabinet that I made out of a small Coke refer using Pid's to control themp and humidity.
Thanks for your reply Gafala. The salami recipe I want to make will start curing after it is made, and then cold smoked for 10 to 12 hours, and then it must hang in a cool place for minimum 5 days before it is ready to eat.
After the salami is ready to eat can I then vacuum them and keep them in the fridge to stop drying out? and how long can I keep it for? Is it better to freeze them?
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

RAF128

I wish I'd seem this sooner.   A few years ago I got a kit to make Salami and when it was done I hung it in a storage room in my basement that is cool and dry.   Checked a few weeks later and it was covered with a white mold.  Thought I'd done something wrong and it had gone bad so chucked it.  Oh well, live and learn

Johnny

Quote from: RAF128 on May 07, 2017, 04:31:59 AM
I wish I'd seem this sooner.   A few years ago I got a kit to make Salami and when it was done I hung it in a storage room in my basement that is cool and dry.   Checked a few weeks later and it was covered with a white mold.  Thought I'd done something wrong and it had gone bad so chucked it.  Oh well, live and learn
RAF128 looks like you got rid of a perfectly good salami! White mold (penicillin nalviogen) is a harmless mold that forms on salami to help with the aging process .. much the same on cheese.

Johnny

Opps, never mind lol.. just read the post above from Gafala. Sorry about that ☺️☺️

Grouperman941

Quote from: pwven on May 07, 2017, 01:11:48 AM
Quote from: Gafala on May 06, 2017, 12:08:19 PM
Thanks for your reply Gafala. The salami recipe I want to make will start curing after it is made, and then cold smoked for 10 to 12 hours, and then it must hang in a cool place for minimum 5 days before it is ready to eat.
After the salami is ready to eat can I then vacuum them and keep them in the fridge to stop drying out? and how long can I keep it for? Is it better to freeze them?

Yes, you can vac seal and put in fridge. It will last a really long time. But if your 'cool place' is still there, you can also leave the salami hanging for a very long time.

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

pwven

Thanks for the information Grouperman941.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor