Help? First time smoking pork leg.

Started by bradleyj, May 08, 2017, 09:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradleyj

Hi there,

I have a half pork leg.  About 6 pounds. I want to smoke I it then do pulled pork on a bun. Can someone guide me on the process? Total rookie here. 

cherrybergher

Welcome to the forum
Here's what I did with my first pork shoulder:

Quote from: cherrybergher on June 14, 2016, 11:19:49 AM
Ok the my first pork butt will happening some time this week.  I went to the butcher today and he had no boston butts so I got this 6lb shoulder for about 23.00.  I think that's an ok price for a local business.  He told me that it's a bit lean. So i've attached pics to get your thoughts.

My plan thus far is pretty simple 2 a.m. start

-rub 12-24hrs in advance, starting with a bit of mustard
-bring meat to room temp while smoker is preheating to about 280ish
-put shoulder on rack 2 and extra water/drip tray on rack 3 (smaller than the bradley rack to allow for proper circulation)
-smoke for 3ish hrs and try and cook between 225 and 250 (monitor with my igrill2 probe in the cabinet down close to the meat to get an accurate cooking temp)
-after 3hrs drain bradley bowl, refill, spritz pork, check secondary drip an to ensure enough liquid.
-shut the door continue cooking between 225-250, expect a stall at 140ish and just sit tight (beverage and ipad handy)
-monitor IT with probe and remove shoulder at about 190-195
-spritz, brown sugar (maybe) FTC for min 1 hr
-concoct some type of dipping sauce with booze and dripping during FTC

after the minimum FTC unwrap and consume.  My thought is that I shouldn't be too worried about spritzing more than twice because of the FTC, and the internal temp of 190 should mean it's still plenty moist?  thoughts

top of shoulder

bottom of shoulder

Advice and suggestions welcome!

Hopefully that helps a bit
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"