Premium Caribbean Blend Bisquettes

Started by cherrybergher, May 10, 2017, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cherrybergher

My experience with Premium Caribbean Blend Bisquettes
was interesting.

Prior to this I have only smoked with primarily cherry, and a few times with apple.  The family favourite is cherry.

I decided to do about 4lbs of chicken legs with the back attached, so to me it looks like the drumstick with the thigh attached, bone in, skin on.

Before I began today I read on the box that this bisquette flavour base is Mesquite so I proceeded somewhat cautiously knowing that poultry sucks up a lot of smoke quickly I was a bit apprehensive so I started the chicken with a bit of rub and smoked them at around 200-210 for 2hrs, today was a windy day.  I wasn't concerned with my chamber temp as I finished these on the grill.

After two hours, I thought the colour on the chicken was nice.

(bit of a crappy pic)

I pre heated my gas grill for some direct and indirect cooking.  I started by grilling up the skin a bit, then I moved them to the indirect side.  I sauced them up with the treagers apricot glaze, closed the lid and let them sit on the grill @ around 400 for about 12-15 mins, till the sauce was tacky.  After this, all the pieces read at 165 degrees or higher, so we were good to go.

The taste.  Everyone loved it, It had a very pronounced, nice well rounded up front smokey taste with very light notes of cinnamon, and a bit of allspice. It finished with a bit of a fruity flavour compliments of the apricot glaze.

Overall, I would not exceed two hours of this smoke on poultry.  I wouldn't mind trying it on some pork back ribs to see how that would taste.

Comments, questions, or advice welcome
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Habanero Smoker

I'm not a fan of Bradley's flavored bisquettes. I've tried the Cabela's Pepper, Rosemary and Thyme bisquettes, and I don't really care for them. From your experience with the Caribbean blend, I may purchase a small box and try them out.

It would be hard to tell with all the spices, but I have to ask. Could you tell what wood they used in this bisquettes? In the past it seemed like they used oak for the wood in their flavored bisquettes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cherrybergher

Hi Habs,

Nice to hear from you! This is what I got from the website ....."Premium Bisquettes are the newest line of Bradley Flavor Bisquettes®, featuring spices and herbs to enhance the taste and aroma of your favorite smoked dishes.

Bring a whole world of flavor to your next meal using the Caribbean Blend Bisquettes. We created the perfect pair by infusing mesquite bisquettes with allspice, a Caribbean staple. With flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and pepper, you can be sure you'll never be short on flavor. These bisquettes pair well with beef, game, lamb, poultry, and vegetables."

So I would assume mesquite, I've never tried mesquite before so I was a bit leary, especially with poultry.  I think my sons preferred that little bite of mesquite, and I enjoyed it too in this instance I think because the apricot glaze was a good pairing to offer balance.  I found the spice blend in the bisquette fairly mild with the mesquite flavour being, what i would consider to be the slightly dominant taste
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Smoker John

That chicken looks really good. I have never tried flavoured bisquettes but I'm sure I will give them a go at some point
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the information. I never got around to reading the description. Now that I know it is mesquite I will have to give this further thought.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)